TKR and Osteoporosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went to my GP after failing pre op assessment for my other leg TKR to be done weell was to be done 2nd Novemeber my other leg was done 9 months ago  I failed the pre op because I was stated to have a chest infection after testing my COPD readings ANYWAY I diverse What i would like to know is can you have TKR with severe osteoporosis I have been referred to a consultant to have the new once a year treatment via intravenously drip I said I would take my chances with falls As I have fallen about 12 times in 4 years and never once broken a thing that included falling backwards down stairs when my leg give way she said not having it wasn't a option i fear she shes wrong I decide if to go ahead with it However will the state of my osteoporosis stop me from having any future replacements at the moment it isnt on the computer so the pre op haven't picked up on it yet!!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

As far as I know, you can have TKR with osteoporosis though the surgeon will know whether your case is suitable and any risks thereof.

My aunt had osteoporosis many years and then had a successful TKR. Hope you get on OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.