TKR and Osteotomy journey

Posted , 5 users are following.

After two accidents which resulted in two micro fracture ops in 2009 and 2013 stem cell treatment and two years Physio weekly with knee off loaded for two years; my leg was bent out from the knee down to the right by over 12 degrees. I had TKR and Osteotomy on 9.1.18. 

I had spinal so pain first day not too bad. That night hit me like thunder clap but think this was Osteotomy and straightening of leg not TKR.  Day 1 walked around bed with Zimmer frame and sat out for short while. Had catheter so felt hindered with that. Did lots of deep breathing and drank lots and lots of wTer to flush my system. 

Day 2 was on crutches; catheter removed in afternoon; drain removed at night. Had shower late afternoon.  Felt very tearful which really is not like me. I’m an active 60 yr old divorced Mum of 4 grown up children, 3 live with me with 17month old Grandson; 2 dogs and a cat.

Day 3 walked with crutches around the room up and down to bathroom felt drowsy I think with pain killers. Walked up and down wArd and did stairs. 

Day 4 - tired today but doing exercises and icing is really helping, knee is black and blue. Swelling is bad in my ankle and that really hurts. Don’t know why. Bend is 90 straightening -50. 

Day 5 home - wheel chair to car. Got in no problem as bend is good.  Good to be home but very tired. 

Day 6 - icing taking pain killers and elevating a lot. Doing exercises. Using good leg to lift operated leg on and off bed by hooking foot under. Heel shuffles to bend knee and trying to straighten. I’m finding that harder than bending. 

Day 7 - 1 week post op went out for cream tea; walked too far in bad rain on crutches but it was so worth it. 

Day 8 - Physio today was surprised as still have staples in. 

Days 9, 10 and 12 rest; exercises, pain relief and ice. Can’t believe I’m 2 weeks nearly post op. Staples out tomorrow - a little nervous as being told horror stories. 

Was given the best advise - pain killers half hour before staples due out and ice. Not any where near as bad as I thought; few ouch moments but that is it. I have electric reclining chairs; really think they help with bend. Couple of days with wound leaking a little, nurse had put steri strips on so it soon heeled up. 

Shower at home today - lovely as been having strip washes. Physio again. Deep tissue massage; thought he was being nice showing me how to massage scar. How wrong was I lol. Next day felt easier. Still using ice 5 to 6 times a day. Zapain and Ipbuprofen 4 hourly Zoplicone for sleep and sorely morph at night. Only used 10 mild 3 times though on 3 separate nights; mainly when doing a bit too much (dishwasher, putting washing on; ) tut tut. 

Week 3 - Physio bend 110 straighten -35 getting there. Physio pleased. 

Week 4 back at work (office based) 3 hrs a day for 3 days. Tired but happy. 

Week 5 today; started on 5 hrs a day yesterday for all of this week; down to one crutch when required or none. Did much too much today. Didn’t use crutches; up and down stairs 4 times; no ice and I’m suffering - had to take oral morph tonight - 1st time in 3 weeks I think. Do cross with myself. Work rest and siesta after work the rest of this week I think. 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wow! I could not imagine going back to work, even for 5 hours at 5 weeks. I worked one day, at 4 months and decided not to do that again, ever. I now only work casual and travel constantly. As much as I can. At 2 years post op I'm about as good as it gets. You're an inspiration. Stay strong. xx

• Posted

Thank you do not feel much of one at the moment. I cannot retire until I am 67 I then wish to travel as much as possible, 
    • Posted

Focus on getting fit and rehabilitated. Have a plan. Travel for short trips on budget airlines for 7-10 days. Get a feel for where you want to be. You will do it. xxx
  • Posted

Wow, you are doing well!I didn't rush off crutches but kept using them to help lessen pain , so maybe this is a factor? It is annoying when these things happen but I guess it helps us learn and adjust accordingly.

The bit that made me smile was the cream tea! Cream teas we're a major source of encouragement throughout my recovery. I really think the hospitals should recommend them! 😁

• Posted

The cream tea was definitely worth the soaking from the rain and the pain. 

I’m going back on crutches today and using the ice. 

• Posted

Oh my!! You really are an inspiration!! Well done you!

I couldn't imagine going back to work at 5 weeks! I didn't go back last year until 12 weeks.

I'm now retired, so work is just another 4 letter word!! One less stress to think about!

Last year several of us on this forum said that cake & chocolate should be available on the NHS. I think we should also add cream teas..... mmmm

Great work on rehab Trees!!

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thank you Marilyn has a bit of a set back last few days lots of pain and very tired. But....... chocolate fudge cake tonight helped lol. Definitely choc, cake and cream teas on the NHS would be wonderful x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.