Tkr and swimming

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, I'm going on holiday on Friday, I shall use the lovely heated pools, but I'm sure you can't swim breaststroke after a knee replacement?   I will be exactly 4 months po when I go.  And will that be forever, or after a certain time can I swim that stroke.  Can't do any other stroke though!  Tia 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Think it's something to do with the way your leg twists in breast stroke. I have invented my own unique stroke which is breast stroke with my arms and a kicking splashy doggy paddle thing with my legs. I works as I do move but I bet I don't look vdry elegant but who cares!!!! Ha ha!! If you want to look good you could breaststroke with your arms and keep your legs straight without moving them !

• Posted

i dont understand, are we not suppose to move our legs when trying to do any type of swimming ???
    • Posted

Yes of course you can, just not breast stroke with your legs, something to do with the angle the knee bends at, it can cause problems, don't forget our knees are replacements not replicas, I look like a stranded whale when swimming now with my made up leg kicks, but hey ho I enjoy myself

• Posted

That's news to me about breaststroke. I love swimming and just had bilateral TKR 5.5 weeks ago, and am looking forward to the day I can swim. Never thought about the twist in legs when kicking. What else are we limited with doing after bilateral TKR? Nobody seemed to tell me before the surgery - just running which I don't do anyway. Can I use a hot tub at this point?

• Posted

I was told as long as my wound was fully healed over I could go in the water, (its all to do with infection control) As for the breaststroke with my legs, surgeon and physio said it's a no no . Our new knees arnt a replica of our own they're a substitute although a very good one they can't perform exactly as our old ones. I was also told not to kneel on them either

• Posted

Hi Lucie, I am 5 months post op and just back from my holidays. I could not do breast stroke with my legs...new knee wouldn't let me do any stroke and other knee is suffering and I found it difficult to use it so I just did my arms and kept legs straight out behind. The water was great for exercises and I loved being in it . This was first time been in water since op as I don't live near a pool. Enjoy  the holiday.

• Posted

Hi Sue, just recognised you from the slimming group message too!  Might see each other on  there too!  Thanks for your messages, xx
  • Posted

Hi lucie.  I'm over a year TKR and found swimming the best exercise ever! I still go a couple of times a week - I do breast stroke arms and sometimes just kick my legs but I find it easier to do a butterfly leg kick - bend both legs towards your bum together and then straighten.  Don't really care what I look like as my knee feels good afterwards.  Enjoy your hols!

• Posted

Glad I read this! No one has mentioned this to me. It's a bit of a bummer as it is the only stroke I can do! Hope I don't fall off a ship!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.