TKR andManiplation

Posted , 4 users are following.

8 wks po and pt referred me back to surgeon next week for manipulation I am -12 on my leg extension and110 on bend. Any info on manipulation for extension

is appreciated. I am very nervous

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

They put you out with a light anaesthesia and the dr bends the leg enough to tear the scar tissue loose. Sometimes you are put on an automatic bending machine that runs without any assistance from you. This continues to stretch the soft tissue. In my part of the world the Dr makes the decision, not the therapist. If you scroll back through posts on this site you find mixed results from this procedure.
  • Posted

I am only 4 weeks out from surgery and very new to all this, but from what I've read, you shouldn't have an MUA before 12 weeks. Sounds like you're doing really good, so I guess I don't see what the problem is. They want me at 120 and 0. Currently at about 100 and 5. Is your knee very stiff after PT?

• Posted

My knee is stiff for 1/2 hour after p/t is finished but it responds quicklyMy band is at 110 which I am satisfied with. my extension is only -12 but I am concerned if I don't get the manipulation done it will never straighten

• Posted

Well good luck. I know it's hard to know what to do. I have heard more bad than good about manipulations. It just seem that doctors are too eager to do them. From what I know you can keep gaining flexibility as time goes on. Your knee is still healing, probably still swelled up a bit. Hope it works out for you.

• Posted

Wow you're only 8wks I'm surprised that your pt has made that decision.. well they haven't really if you have a good surgeon he will take the necessary measurements and weigh it up.  The further you go along the better you will get.

I've been lucky with straightening as I was told to do it from the surgeon as soon as possible after surgery and that was just to press the back of your knee down to touch the bed .. I do it all the time and worked wonders for my first TKR ... we'll see how I go with this 2nd one that I'm only 3wks post op with and struggling alot more with than the first.

Take it easy and just wait and see what your surgeon says .. some pt's so think they know it all and they don't or their expectations can be unrealistic for your particular knee recovery as every knee is different and will recover in it's own time.

Cheers... Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.