TKR bend measurement

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everone

I had TKR in May and found this forum a lifesaver. I've long since been discharged by the surgeon and physio but I've NEVER had the bend measured in my knee so have no idea what degree I have.

So .... I Bought myself a goniometer off EBay, but it comes without instructions! I have no idea where I should put it on my knee (centre, top, bottom?) and can't find anything on an Internet search.  

Can an anyone help and describe where to place it on my knee please?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Not sure sorry.

I had TKR 3 and a half yesars ago. My bend was measured countless times by physiotherapists but each one seemed to measure it differently.

For instance when I was discharged from hospital and started going to physio classes the bend they measured then was less than when i left hospital!

I thought that can't be right.

Quite often the physiotherapist used to measure my bend and then not tell me what it was. "Never mind what it is" she used to say "Just give me more."

I just managed to get to to 90 degree bend for my 6 week post op appointment with the consultant.

Hope you find someone who can show you how to use this contraption.

Keep bending.

Happy New Year

Sarah

• Posted

Google the contraption you have and just add manual to the search.

If you have been discharged, then they are obviously happy for you to continue your exercises under your own steam.  You know what or where your knee should be, so work on that. You know that it needs to bend more; you do not need a divice to tell you.  Don'y go by "well I am this stage and I should be doing that"  Everyone heals differently  To be 100% rehabilitated you still lhave a little way to go time wise.  Physios are there to help you, but when they see you are coping well, they will send you on your way (with a proviso that if you need advice, they are there), they are not abandoning you, they just have faith in your abiliity to continue.  For a TKR to completely heal takes around 18 months. Just concentrate on your bending and strecthening your muscles and you will do fine

• Posted

I had my tkr in June last year and became totally obsessed with degrees of bend!! I became very emotional and upset that I wasn't reaching required numbers,and that others older than me were getting a better bend. I then decided to ditch the numbers and to measure by what l could or couldn't do. It was the best thing I did, I came on leaps and bounds, no more measuring for me!!! It's makes me too hard on myself.
    • Posted

I agree. I had my revision 9+ weeks ago, & the surgeon refused to measure. He watched me walk/sit & get up at my 6 week check-up, & said all was fine - that too much was made on getting to a certain degree of bend - that everyone healed at different rates, & as long as his patients could sit/stand/& walk - he was happy! So am I.

It's one less thing to worry about!!

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I had a UKR (partial) done on 6 Nov 2015. I've had two physiotherapy assessments and 1 review by my Consultant and they all waffle on about in excess of 90 degrees. Like you I have no idea what degrees I can achieve, but, looking at the things I can do I must be pretty close to a 130 degree knee bend.

If you can identify a manufacturers name on the device trying googling the manufacturers website and then look for a user guide. and see what it says. To be honest I think the general service provided by these PT's is a bit of a joke and despite what i've been told by them at hospital and information they gave me on exercises/ stretches I've had more help from fellow patients on this website, on Youtube and from my own Sports therapist (who I pay for). Thats another thought. Go onto Youtube and type in the search box ''Using a gonimeter''  and see what comes up (maybe varying the wording if you don't hit the jackpot first time).

Good luck,

John

• Posted

Go to YouTube and type in their search bar, 'The Goniometer'. The video was uploaded by a person named 'IDASS'.  I think this will explain it clearly.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone.

I'm just curious as I've never been measured - I only spent a couple of pounds on the measurer - it really doesn't worry me as I am where I am going to be.  I exercise it and swim, and overall I'm happy with my TKR. I just want to satisfy my curiosity!

• Posted

At some point you will be able to bend your knee better than before.  You will be able to straighten your knee once your quads are strong enough.  Curiosity may bring frustration, be careful x
  • Posted

Good for you if you're able to swim and walk and get around. I'm just at the 8 week mark for a double TKR. My therapists have measured me each and every time , from inhouse rehab to now, outpatient rehab. Last visit I was at about 120 for both knees following PT manipulation and "pushing". I'm getting around well enough but still have quite a lot of stiffness, especially at night. Most nights I have difficulty with sleeping still. I've worried a bit about arthrofibrosis because of the stiffness and pain. My husband continues to remind me the stifffness is still part of the healing process. I just feel ready for that stiffness to subside.
  • Posted

I also wanted to say that I think sometimes we get too caught up in the numbers. I like the idea of focusing on my walking gait as I go about, swimming and stretching and riding my stationary bike with less and less pain. We don't think about the flexation and straightening "numbers" normally. I've felt very frustrated by the focus on the numbers. This week my PT is planning to push me even harder because he plans to get me to 130 over the next weeks. It just makes me feel scared and frustrated. Keep up your good work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.