TKR don't feel right

Posted , 8 users are following.

3 week TKR post op I'm only getting 75d bend still waiting on physio to ring to arrange my appointment my knee is hot to touch and very hard and swollen although my scar looks very neat I'm iceing knee regularly but doesn't seem to make any difference!! Wondering if I've got an infection night times are the worst not getting much sleep at all my knee is also going into spasms and the pain is excruciating

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Only 3 weeks...you are still in the "most painful" stage.  Nothing you're saying is out of the ordinary.  Yes, painful...very painful...but still normal for such a short time frame.  

• Posted

Eileen I was feeling exactly the same as you at 3 weeks post TKR.

I'm happy to say that I'm now 7 weeks and things are an awful lot better. For me everything seemed to get better at around 6 weeks. I came off the Tramadol and started only taking paracetamol when needed which some days is only twice. 

At 3 weeks I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel but I can now ... Chin up ... I promise you it does get easier. I'm no way near the light yet but it's certainly a lot brighter.

• Posted

Thanks Ali that's made me feel a lot better just gutted I can't still bend my knee more than 70degrees and I'm trying so hard I've had no PT since leaving the hospital 3 weeks ago only given a sheet of paper with exercises to follow my next appointment is in 3 weeks time to see my consultant

• Posted

You'll be fine! My consultant only wanted me to have a 100 bend and walk in without any aids ... you'll do it, 3 weeks in this 'battle' is a long time x

• Posted

Eileen, I think everything you said is very normal as I have experienced it myself in the early days. Has your Doctor prescribed anything for the pain? If so, maybe you need something stronger. Don't expect to get too much sleep as the pain is always worse at night. I am 8 weeks post op and have just begun to get better sleep for the last two nights. Hope this has helped to ease your mind, but also discuss with your surgeon. Hope you start feeling better, it is such a struggle and long recovery!

• Posted

I went to see my GP a couple of days ago he gave me the strongest co codamol and more morphine but I'm only taken the morphine night time as it makes me so sick and the co codamol seems to last about an hour then the pains back. I know it takes a long time but my knee is so swollen and painful it's difficult trying to do the exercises

• Posted

Hi

Ice all the time, google Aircast Cuff it's a ice bucket and knee wrap. It's worth the money.

As I keep saying I also found really hot baths helped. Getting in and out is a challenge but if you have a partner to help its worth it.

Good healing

• Posted

I second the recommendation for the Aircast Cuff - I even took mine into Hospital with me and the Nursing and Physio staff all said that they wish they stil had them - apparantly the "Powers That Be" recently decided that they werent the best thing for the job (they are!) and charged to something different (which are useless!).

The feeling of the iced water filling the Cuff and soothing the knee - bliss! smile

• Posted

Hi Eileen - the swolleness and the warmth of your knee is normal after a TKR. I had mine TKR on 10/4/16 and it took a good 3 months for the heat to go away. The swollen has gotten better, but I still have to ice it every night. I still have problem bending my knee. I could only bend it to 115. Usually doctor's goal is 120. Hang in there and do your PT and exercises. Good luck. J

• Posted

Hi

I think warmth is a nice way of saying burning.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Eileen

You are about right for 3 weeks.

Things will improve with patience & time, & icing, elevating& exercise .

Good luck

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Eileen, we're not far off the same point post-op, and Im also coming in at 75 degrees - my knee is also hot all the time, some more than others, and my incision is lumpy, bumpy hard and INCREDIBLY sensitive. 

I'm pretty sure that if you had an infection, then your knee would be MUCH more inflamed and angry, very VERY  red, and youd feel systemically unwell also - I think everything you (and I) are experiencing is par for the course for our stage in this delightful journey.

With regard to the spasms and excrucitaing night pain -- I dont know without searching back how your relationship is with your GP, but it might be worth speaking to them about a further medication which deals specifically with nerve pain - I take Amitriptyline, but I know others have had great success with Gabapentin and similar. It cant hurt to ask, and you never know, you might just get the help you need.

Remember, we're all here, and we know what youre going through. Im only a click away if you need to talk/vent/complain, and Im always happy to help if I can - I've been through this 3 times now, so I kinda know the ropes! rolleyes

Take care xx

• Posted

Thanks terri for your reply I suppose it's all trial and error with the medication I've decided not to take the morphine of a day only before I go to sleep at night most medication makes me feel so ill so I'm just taking the co codamol wich are the strongest apparently equal to tramadol just hope I'm not left with stiff leg because I'm not doing very well with the exercises but only time will tell. Good luck to you terri with your recovery

• Posted

Take one day at a time. The more you think about it, the more the knee hurts and it will stiffen and won't bend. Howerver, you need to take the pain killers before doibg the exercises. You can push a little more every day if are not in so much pain. Take care, J21370

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.