TKR follow up

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had my op eleven days ago and since then I've not been able to contact the hospital and speak to the ard sister or senior nurse regarding when I can leave my dressing or compression socks off.

A couple of days after surgery the wound was still leaking badly and I'd already used the two dressings supplied by the hospital.

The chemist had nothing suitable in stock and they required a doctors prescription to order the correct size dressings which I found unbelievable, I mean its not as if I was ordering an A class drug.

I made do over the weekend by joining large plasters together, not really ideal but they did the job.

The wound has healed up pretty good now and looks great but I'm not sure if I can leave the dressing off as I don't want anything nasty getting in causing problems.

I'm getting fed up with the surgical stockings which are really digging into my calves,  probably restricting circulation rather than helping it

Some medical sites recommend removal of both two weeks post op, others say you must follow your surgeon's advice. 

I would certainly do the later if it were possible to contact him 

I realize there's no set in stone procedure and we all progress differently but I would be interested  what advice anyone received from their consultant      

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Itis up to us all, but id never have kept mine on for that long , i couldn,t walk properly they were causing me pain and wen i took em off i walked better . Thats a long time 6weeks . I wis( you luck david x
  • Posted

Hi teela,

Good to know I'm not alone with my dissolvable stitches, they did a great job, the needlework looks very neat, a big improvement on my previous ops. Didn't realize this is a world wide forum and yes I'm from the New Forest UK 

Interesting to see the different methods and techniques performing knee surgery across the pond.

There is a currant video showing a TKR being done in the US with the surgeon operating through the side of the knee. 

This method apparently is far less invasive with a much shorter recovery time, maybe something the UK will latch on to in the future if they haven't already done so

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.