TKR Foot Numbness post op 2 years

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 18 months post op and my foot is still numb. I have seen postings of similar issues. I understand it could have been from the nerve block or tourniquet. My doctor has refused to acknowledge and I am at a loss of what to do. If an EMG is required what happens later? I've seen several posts and hope you will post a response. Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would not rule out a lower back issue. A year after my tkr my knee and down to the ankle was sore an tingling. Turned out it was a pinched nerve in my lower back. I hope you can find whats causing your pain.

• Posted

Im the same 17mths tkr .y lower back is killing me going to find out what is causeing it. Hope you get it sorted

• Posted

Idid get to the bottom mine. Last Oct we moved , I picked up a landscape rock and herniated a disc L3-4. The pain that I had after the tkr was similar to what I had after the disc herniation but not as intense. My worst pain started mid late November. I did not sleep much for 6 weeks. 2-4 hrs a day. Iwas most comfortable standing. I tried epidural steroid shots. The first on lasted 2 days , the second 5 days. I had surgery on January 18th. There's residual sciatic nerve damage in my left leg. Before therapy I couldn't go up stairs with my left leg. Now I can do a couple flights, no ladders though. Now the pain is gone still have to be careful what I lift and do my daily home therapy.

• Posted

hi Annette, I had my operation done almost 2 years ago it will be two years in July. My leg is still numb and feels like crap. I have had the knee checked by the surgeon who said the artificial knee is perfect. I have done the PT and I have gotten my lower back checked I had an MRI. I do have mild spinal stenosis which really doesn’t A tribute to the numbness. I honestly believe it is an individual thing. It is a horrible operation and that tournaquit is Far too tight. I believe my body just doesn’t like it

i wish you well. I AM VERY sorry i had it done. I pray one day I will wake up and it will just feel normal I pray the same for you good luck

• Posted

Thank you. My back is okay.. I believe the nerve block coupled with the tourniquet was mt 1-2 punch. I have been told the only way to prove nerve damage is with an EMG. That may be my next best step.

• Posted

i am over 3 years post op - TKR on 13/02/16

Its been an absolute nightmare and I have regretted whole heartedly having it done. I have never really recovered as it left me crippled. It affected my general health greatly and its been three years out of my life.

Had xrays and they couldnt find anything wrong with the prosthetic (the new knee)

The swelling was because my own knee cap was rubbing on the prosthetic so i had to endure further surgery so they could insert a button like object between the patella and prosthetic. however i started to have multiple problems which they put down to nerve damage and then further hospital treatment in the form oa a nerve block which was horrendous as it was turning my legs onto dead legs so i stopped that before I was completely crippled.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.