TKR has me wishing I never had it done.

Posted , 10 users are following.

had my TKR done on May 12, 2016. I had at home PT for a week and then started going three day a week. I tried to do at home exercises but just was unable to get much done. After about 13 weeks my PT was stopped due to lack of progress. I was only at about 78 degrees. My surgeon finally agreed to do a MUA, on August 8th this was done. I had four straight days of PT and have just completed another 5 weeks of PT. I still have not been able to get much past the 78 degrees. My PT visit last Friday was unreal as I was manipulated twice by sheer power. I was in such pain and still  five days later find it is almost impossible to walk. We (PT & me) are talking about maybe a splint or even another MUA. I can't take the pain of being forced into a knee bend but have no idea what to do next. My PT had all along said progress was normal but now he has changed his tune a little. I know and he knows that yes he can get me to bend but the pain and amount of work to do it are unfair to me. My knee feels like it's locking when I try to stand or rotate my legs while laying in bed. I've also been dealing with some sort of nerve problem since my surgery my leg is hypersensitive which compounds matters.

Any words of encouragement will help but I really need some sound advice as to what to try next.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would suggest a heat to heart talk with your surgeon. You need new x rays and possibly a 2nd opinion. Therapists are great at what they do but drs, they're not. Scream and yell demanding proper medical attention.

• Posted

Hello, that was about the only way he finally agreed to do the MUA. I had suggested it weeks ago and he all but told me to shut up. He is one of the top men doing replacements and felt I didn't do enough to aid in my recovery. He told me that my PT needed to make me scream and cry to be effective!! Finally he did the MUA and I'm not any better after that.

• Posted

Apparently he had a hemmroid operation because he is no doubt a perfect a**h*le. Guys like him are a disgrace to their profession. No one should have to be subjected to pain much less to the guy who caused it. I would still ask for a second opinion in another facility if possible
  • Posted

sorry your having so much trouble, I was among 5 people that had TKR and going to PT around the same time, all different ages and sex and all had different Dr. me and one other guy done the best. I was 44 and he looked to be in his late 50's. we both had a CPM machine that worked our knees , the other 3 didn't they were a woman around 60 and 2 more guys around 65 and 70 all 3 of them were'nt doing as good and one of the guys said he wouldn't go anymore and just have top live with the pain and bend ( he couldn't straighten his )

Did you have a CPM machine when you had yours done ?

• Posted

Hello, no my doctor does not use them for TKR recovery. He feels better results are gained by one on one PT. can't prove it by me. I'm 65 years old but in sort of good shape. Most of my pain had come from bone on bone mainly if climbing stairs. But now I dread going to PT knowing when I'm done the pain just increases. I've used heat and ice to no great benefit. 

• Posted

I used the CPM machine for the first 2 weeks and also had one on one PT 3 times a week for 3 months, I took my pain meds as prescribed to stay ahead of the pain. I only seen my Dr 2 times after the surgery, but my PT was a Godsend , he was Great ! Good luck
  • Posted

Im 12wk into tkr and apart from when i was in hospital i only seen my physio twice and was told im doing that good i dont need it anymore.im now going on my crosstrainer and treadmill which is helping n im now walking with no aid.my main problem is the spasms going from side of my knee to my foot .x
  • Posted

I'm 8wks post op and I am dealing with the same problem. July 12 2016 was when I had my knee replacement. First you have to get the swelling down. Elevate your knee and ice it. Take a good pain medication (hydrocodone is what I use) Once the swelling is controlled and the pain is managed, I recommend you getting a cpm machine. I would start the machine at a level where you get a good stretch yet not to the point of unbearable pain. Once you have a good stretch, increase the machine. Do this for about 10 minutes at a time and get up and walk around. Repeat as often as you're comfortable with. You can put ice pack on your knee while using the cpm machine. Don't allow anyone to bend your leg to an excruciating pain level! If you read these posts in this forum, you will notice that each tkr is different. Therapists and doctors have a hard time being wrong . Don't let them shame you into thinking you're the problem. Do your best and it will be ok.

• Posted

I'm getting 75 degrees range of motion while exercising this way. I also go to therapy 3x a wk. Beforethis my range of motion was in the 60s.

• Posted

Hello, I've used ice and elevated for at least 8-9 weeks. My swelling lasted well into week 8 so this held me back somewhat. My PT is trying to have the doctor approve a splint which sort of does the same thing as the CPM. Walking is not too bad and I get some in everyday. I had been using OxyContin to begins with and then slowed down to oxycodone, but they prevent me from driving so I try to stay away from them. When I questioned my PT about pain meds to get me through daily sessions he felt I really needed to be totally out to withstand the amount of pain this would have on me. He is thinking maybe another MUA is possible, but this last one didn't do the trick even starting PT the very next morning.

• Posted

My pt encourages me to take meds. I noticed that when my pain and swelling in control I have more range of motion. The oxycotin was too strong for me. Keep a positive attitude and do what you can stand.
    • Posted

Everyone says to get off the opioids as soon as you can...I completely agree but some people need the extra help a bit longer.  No judgment; do what you have to do then ease off.  Tramadol (RX) doesn't work on me but others find it very helpful...and there's 800mg Ibuprophin TID (RX).  Gotta try a few to see what works.  Voltaren Gel is the best anti-inflammatory topical (RX).  

Note: Tramadol and Ibuprophin are NOT for immediate pain relief.  Like many other medications, the proper level of the drug must build up in your blood stream for a day or so or more to see/feel any effect.  Give the med a chance to do its thing...

Another note on Pharma shorthand...

QD - Once a day (timing as directed)

BID - Twice a day (usually morning and night as directed)

TID - Three times a day (every 8 hours)

QID - Four times a day (every 6 hours)

PO - Oral administration

PRN - As needed (in latin "pro re nata"wink

RX - By prescription only

My ex is a pharmacist...I have these burned in my memory...

• Posted

I had right TKR on April 18th. I found the best way for me personally to increase my bend was to continue with the stretches I learned in PT at home after my PT ended in mid June, and to use my stationary bike at home. My Ortho did not recommend the use of the cpm because he felt we need to strengthen leg muscles by using them. I am doing fine and seem to improve daily.  Everyone heals at a different pace.  I am extremely grateful for my patient, knowledgeable PTs at OhioHealth in Columbus, Ohio.  They encouraged me by talking me through the difficult times and telling me I could do it.  They also made sure that I had copies of the exercises to continue on my own at home.  I am now at 120+ and know it will only get better.

Now if someone could only do something about this post surgery hairlines....:-)

• Posted

That should say"post surgery hair loss😩😩"

• Posted

Have you had post op surgery hairloss Carol?  I had post op surgery hair growth on my thigh in a square around the top of the scar .. was no doubt due to it getting shaved but was weird as I've never had hair on my thighs .. it's almost gone now 11mths later!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.