TKR HEAT

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am using an electric blanket and both knees hurt when I use it.  First knee replacement was 12/2016 and second

August 3, 2017.

Anyone else having this problem.? I really don’t understand why. Nurse at surgeons office blew it off.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think be ause we r suppose to use ice to keep oir knees cool to help with any swelling not to use heat x
  • Posted

Hi

I had my first TKR on 10 Oct 2017 and am on the waiting list for the other knee to be done. I iced etc for the first 10 weeks which was very soothing but since then I find heat soothing and sleep with my electric blanket on and a hot water bottle every night.  I guess we are all different I have no pain when walking or going up and down stairs with my new knee but when laying down it hurts to turn over like as though the tendons are being pulled in the back and outside of my new knee. I’m wondering if it is to do with the weight of the metal in there? 

Try icing and see if the cold helps it and good luck. 

Best wishes J

• Posted

Hy there im glad the heat helps. You, i can never use extra heat as my knee is usually so warm/hot anyways. Just to aslo say i dont think our tkr knees are any heavier i asked my surgeon this and he said no there is no more weight with your new joint than before x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.