TKR needed but taking oxy for back injury; has anyone had TKR when currently on oxy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been struggling to reduce the amount of oxycodone I need to take for my low back injury, and surgeon wants me to be totally off oxy before surgery. Has anyone had experience with TKR when currently taking oxy at 30mg per day?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

no but on opiods due to hip osteoaritis. i was treated by a pain clinic waiting for hip replacement surgery.

the reason the surgeon wants you off oxy before your surgery is so you will not have a built up tolerence or a higher resistance to a prescription for oxy . this is so the surgeon can treat your pain after surgery with a lower strength prescription , and not be concerned about a higher resistance needing a higher strength of oxy to treat the same pain. the longer you take oxy your body builds up a tolerence to it requiring a higher dosage to treat the dame pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.