tkr next week

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi ..i am having a tkr next week and im wondering how other patients have got on with stuff like bathing /sleeping/and general day to day tasks post op.cheers

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone, good to hear you are all doing well after your operations. I have been very interested as I am having my TKR on Thursday 14th. I feel through reading your replies that I am well prepared what to expect in the early days after!!! 

I'm sure I will be posting on here with questions of my own soon!!!

• Posted

Thank you Debbie, up very early, it's 4am, not slept very well as so anxious! I'm sure you all remember how it feels on the morning of your operations!! 

Just enjoying my last cup of tea, as nothing else allowed after 5.30am. No idea when I will be having my next!!

thank you everyone for your support and advice, will post again once I have my new knee!!!

• Posted

Good luck with ur op, hope all goes well on ur road to recovery? Keep smiling 😀
    • Posted

well its 10 30 am , thinking you will be in hospital in a gown , all ready for the off , should think you will be sitting up mid afternoon with a cuppa good luck hope all goes well 

• Posted

I'm still at the beginning of the journey. Pre op assessment tomorrow so hopefully I'll know my date. I fully agree that reading these posts has been a very helpful preparation. Good luck for tomorrow.
  • Posted

hi guys ...its been 3 wek since tkr ..so hers a update                                                    still plenty of restless nights.. but i just catch up with a afternoon nap biggrin                    swelling down from 48cm to 41cmbiggrin..walking around house unaidedbiggrin                    still need crutches for outside(not confident enough without them)confused           still a lot of stiffness in knee (hoping it will wear of in time)                                     made mistake of over doing it 2 days ago ..laid up all next day in a lot off pain..so just taking things a little easier for the next few days.......all in all its been a slow but positive progress....biggrinbiggrin                                                                                      hope you are all well and in good spirits ....cheers kenbiggrin                                       p.s not looking forward to going back to worksadsad
    • Posted

Hi Ken, good 2 hear it's all going ok (sort of?) I know wot u mean about the sleep side of things, I'm 2 wks on after my L THR & haven't had a good sleep yet? The one good thing is ur looking 4wrds & hopefully returning 2 work sum time soon, I was off 16 months after my L TKR in 2010, 1 thing I can say is if u ever need ur hips doing it's a lot less pain & grief than the knees :-) keep up the good work & get well soon ;-)
    • Posted

Well done, Ken! You seem to be doing really well. I'm just over 3 wheels post op too. Like you am beginning to see improvements. Leg is a lot stronger but still stiff and painful at times. Wake several times during night to find it's hurting after being in the same position. Like you, I still have an afternoon nap. Using one crutch around the house. Been for 1st physio session at hospital this morning and been given some harder exercises to do, hoping they'll improve my bend and ability to straighten leg. Still taking strong painkillers. Hoping I can begin to cut dosage down. I'm retired so am lucky I don't need to think about going back to work. I'm looking forward to being able to play with my grandchildren again soon though. They're finding Nana very boring at the mo' 😊 Yes, it is a slow process but I think we'll get there 😊 Don't return to work too soon if you can help it.
    • Posted

Hi everyone, op went ahead as planned!! Laying here now going over things Not been able to sleep a wink, it's not necessarily the pain keeping me awake, just a combination of things, strange bed, the fact I can't sleep on my back, 2 hourly obs as oxygen sats and bp low. Just had venflon taken out as so painful, got to have another put in my other hand as still got one more dose of IV antibiotics to have at 8am!!

All in all I feel the op has gone well? Looking forward to getting out of bed and having a wash this morning, it's 03.24 at the moment!! 

More updates to follow over the next few days!!

• Posted

Hi Schumacher, glad it's all gone ok, I know the feeling when it comes 2 sleeping on ur back, I'm sat in my kitchen having a cup of tea & a fag as I'm still not sleeping 2 wks after my left THR, my clips come out 2day so hopefully be able to come home after & get in the bath & have a bit of a soak? Now ur journey 2 recovery starts & I hope all goes well 4 u, don't be put off if u have a setback or 2 along the way, I think you'll find it's all a part of the healing process? Get well soon & keep smiling 😀
    • Posted

Thank you Tom,good luck with having your clips out today. I am sure you will feel more comfortable after that.

Each thing is a positive step towards recovery!!! 

• Posted

Glad op went ok. It's impossible to get proper rest in a hospital bed isn't it? I didn't appreciate how uncomfortable I'd been until I got home and slept in my own bed! Hopefully you won't have to stay in too long. And maybe you'll be able to sleep on your side soon. I found a pillow between my legs helped. Also, I took naps at every opportunity during the day. Good luck, anyway. At least the op is over and you can begin the recovery process. 😊 
    • Posted

Thanks Jennifer, just had bed bath , clean sheets and breakfast so feeling more with it now!! Been told physio coming along later to get me up for the 1st time, I bet that will hurt?? Did it you? xx

Pauline

• Posted

well your lucky having a bath ,that must be so nice , as for getting up i didnt think it was as bad as you think , i found it easy not too painfull , and they wont push you more than you feel comfey with ,and you will have a frame to help , look forward to the ice so nice ,fingers crossed for you , your body will let you know if you do too much 
    • Posted

Hi Pauline, no, getting up is not bad at all, so don't worry. I had a frame to start then went on to crutches the next day. My advice in the 1st few days would be to accept all the pain relief you can, do the exercises they give you but also get plenty of rest. I found I was very tired. 

Jen 

• Posted

I am itching to get up and start the exercises but the physio is running late ?

The doctor had been and says my drain and catheter can come out when I am up? I am asking for pain killers as often as I can have them. My knee feels very heavy and stiff at the moment, but I am sure once I start the exercised things will improve.

Thank you Jen , so good to talk to someone who knows exactly how you feel .x

• Posted

Yes, I remember that heavy leg feeling. One of the exercises I was given was to lift my heel off the floor. First time I tried I couldn't move it! So don't despair. It wasn't long after I got home that it got stronger. Another problem was lifting the leg to get into bed. I found using my good leg to support the foot of the bad one helped. It soon improves though but be prepared for a stiff, sore leg for some weeks to come. It's a long, slow process but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. Keep up your positive attitude and keep us posted on your progress. Hope you enjoy the hospital food 😊 I struggled a bit and didn't have much appetite. I don't think all the drugs help! 
    • Posted

Hi, I'm assuming that as you've got a catheter fitted u went 4 the spinal block option? I can't seem 2 get on with the tingling & pins & needles in my feet once it wears off, although it makes a huge difference 2 pain relief immediately after surgery, I was put straight on2 a machine after my TKR's that bends the leg 4 u 2 a 30/40° angle & really helps? Good 2 hear u feeling so posotive & raring 2 get up & get going, ur knee will feel like a dead weight 4 a few days but will improve day by day, try not 2 overdo it & get ahead of urself as this WILL cause u problems & set u back!!! I hope everything goes as u want it 2 during ur recovery & remember that everyone recovers differently after this kind of surgery, so don't b put off if u find urself struggling at times? Keep smiling & good luck 😃
    • Posted

Thanks Tom, I didn't get the option of spinal or  general? But I had an op 3 years ago on the same knee to repair a meniscus tear and they also did a washout on the joint at the same time. I had that with a spinal and it went really well. 

The only thing I was worried about this time was the noise from all the hammering and drilling? They gave me some sedation and I never heard a thing!!

Much better than that dreadful hangover feeling from a general!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.