TKR nightmare!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm new here, but could really use some advice. I had my TKR on March 10 of this year. Since then I have had TWO manipulations. My PT can force bend it to 115, but when I try to walk, it won't bend much. I still use a cane and walk like I'm crippled. I still have a lot of pain and swelling also. When I bend it, it feels like there is a band in there or there is something hard in there?! I'm so discouraged.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That tight band you feel will go eventually it's normal don't worry. When I had my first tkr I felt like you, I thought things would never get better. My head was scared that my new knee wouldn't support me but my doctor told me that it is strong enough to take my whole weight, I had to learn to walk properly again as I'd been hobbling before surgery for years.it all felt so strange and I had to re train my brain, which to be honest took some time.my family and friends would walk behind me and tell me if I was limping or waddling. Keep at it because it will come right eventually.good luck??

• Posted

I've not had to have any manipulations, so sorry to hear of your struggles. I do know it takes a lot longer than you think. Building up your muscles is very important, as that's what's needed to make the bend happen. I was still icing up to a year after my surgery; huge help with swelling and pain. I also found out that I have a knee cap that is seriously in need of replacement and this causes pain and swelling when I walk too much...our bodys are old and have been abused by life. Know that in time, you will be glad you went through this, but just keep pushing yourself a little further every day. Listen to your body, you'll know when you've gone too far. You'll get there.

• Posted

Why do they do a manipuation and what exactly is it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.