TKR now locking

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and seeking help. I'll give you the abridged version: TKR done in 11/16, one year later, infection, TKR removed, new one put in in March 18, now comes the fun. From March 1 until April 5th my poor knee was removed and was debrided FOUR TIMES. I had massive infection blah blah blah, I'm on antibiotics for the rest of my life. Now, my knee has been locking. If I'm sitting on a surface where my hip is higher then my knee (like my bed) my knee will lock. Needless to say when this happens, I'm pretty sore afterward. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this? My doctor knows of this and has called it Patellar Clunk.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

dont know where you are, but if in USA, go to the most reputable orthopaedic surgeon in the states.  I am sooo sorry for you.
  • Posted

I have not experienced the Patellar Clunk...in fact didn't know what it was so I looked it up.  With all that you have been through, if I were you I would search out another surgeon/hospital if you can.  I am in the States and here teaching hospitals or those in the larger cities are normally better.  I went to another city to have my TKR and I am glad I did.  

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your TKR issues.  have not experienced the Patellar Clunk. I have had the TKR infection, removal, antibiotics, revision TKA (8/21/18). I’m sorry for all you are going through! I looked up the Patellar Clunk and it stated: Caused when scar accumulates around the patellar component, causing a crunching sensation when bringing the knee from extension to flexion

Treatment: outcomes from an arthroscopic resection are good, with very low rates of recurrence and improvement in knee society scores. I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi that sounds painful, feel for you. Im 18 months out of tkr & after about 1 Yr my knee started balloning up & was really painful. Went to a & e, was admitted so consultant could look at it. When I eventually saw him I'd had several more episodes of it swelling up so he decided to withdraw sum of the fluid from the swelling to get it tested for infection. That cam bk negative so he then said he'd have me in fir keyhole surgery to flush it out & take some more samples to send off for testing. Was sent hone with morphine to wait for apt. Since I came out of hospital I've had no more episodes of swelling. Had keyhole & samples came bk with no infection tho he said knee looks as tho it's got infection. I've got good flexion so consultant has said he's not going to open it up again but will see me again in 6 months tho if needed I can get in touch with his secretary for an earlier apt. It's still bit stiff & has that tight band feeling. It's difficult going up & down stairs & hills. I hope my knee doesn't end up with infection like yours, hope it improves over time. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.