TKR number 2

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, I had my  RTKR 3 month review yesterday with my consultant and I'm pleased to say that he was really happy with my progress. So, I am to be scheduled for a LTKN in July or August this year.

I'm excited and terrified in equal measure.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison I’m in the same boat really LTKR 8 months ago everything been text book really pleased with my recovery need RTKR in January it’s good to know what’s coming but equally dreading the long hard road ahead but it’s well worth it in the end,all the best good luck.
  • Posted

Been on here a loooong time...read over 4,000 posts.  A few thoughts...

1. Do NOT expect your recovery for #2 to be identical to #1.  Very, very few people report the similarity.  Some have a better #2, some worse.  Even people with simultaneous bi-laterals experience different recoveries on each leg.  So...expectations...have none.  It's a different knee, a different op.  Take it as it comes. No surprises.

2. Do ALL you can to strengthen #1.  Those muscles have atrophied over time and need to be rebuilt.  This takes all the pressure off the new joint and puts it back on the surrounding musculature where it belongs.  This will be crucial for having #2 done.  If #1 is weak, you literally won't have a leg to stand on.  Here's the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

Gotta do the rebuild...just gotta.  You'll walk correctly, get your balance back and be able to climb stairs with alternating legs and without holding onto anything...you know...normal.

Good luck...

• Posted

I know the feeling. I am 5 months into my TKR and I am scheduled to get the other one done in June, 6 months after the first one. 

I am really ready to get these knees done and move on with my life. I hope to be healed enough for Christmas!!

• Posted

What does LTKN stand for please. 

Jan

• Posted

Worked ltkn out now🤗

• Posted

Hi Allison

That is awesome news! I’m glad to read some positive for some of us. Have you energy? I’m in my 9th week and I have to push myself to do any thing. I go back to work June 18th. I hope I get my old energy back. Still wake up all hooof the night in pain and can’t get comfortable.

• Posted

I am like you Alison had my LTKR in Nov 2017 everything went great i am happy going back to doctor in Aug to schedule my RTKR . I looking forward to walking without the cane
  • Posted

Wow! That’s a really great recovery. I need both replaced too and hoping to get it all done and over quickly. It is uplifting to hear you mended so nicely and are moving on to the next knee. I’m sure it is extremely daunting to have to do it all again. I can’t even imagine. I hope I have the courage and strength to do it as quickly as you are. I’m scheduled for 6-6. Anything you can point to that aided in your wonderful recovery?
  • Posted

Hi all, thank you for your supportive replies. I had of course meant to type LTKR so sorry typo.

Anyway, I have to say that although I have had a major problem free recovery I did suffer the pain and sleepless nights and analgesia woes but to be rid of the horrible, debilitating pain that I had beforehand is amazing and worth all the negatives.

In terms of recovery tips I would say listen to the advice of the people on here who have gone before' when you're having a bad time share it and allow yourself to be supported, have patience - this is a strange recovery - I found myself frustrated at times as I didn't feel I was making progress and then suddenly I would take quite a step forward for no apparent reason. Ice Ice Ice - this was my saviour. Oh, and wear leggings in bed, it really helped with the wound/skin irritation/friction.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

You are so right!

Sending good wishes for your next one!

Improvements continue...well beyond the six month mark, which is encouraging.

My whole leg is getting stronger and stronger even at 14 months post op. Quite amazing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.