TKR number 2

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi,

this week i had my second TKR, im only 36 and i worked really hard in the gym to prepare my quad prior to surgery.

i feel like i am struggling more to get good bend going due to tighter quads, does anyone have any good old granny tricks to help with this?

all positive apart from that, happy with the results so far and i can see this being another speedy recovery, keep positive everyone, work and but always remember to rest hard too!!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hello

i am due to have my first tkr in june. i am 45 and am considered young to be having it. what has your experience been? i am assuming you arr quite active? i am worried that i wont be able to be as active after the op. i dont do any running but alot of walking and would like to do some cycling.

it would be good to hear about your recovery experience.

thanks

shaun

• Posted

Hi Shaun

Cycling and walking are usually recommended after TKR. Recovery isn't a sprint though, think of it as a marathon, as it's hard to compare with other people. We all start on the same line, but we don't all finish at the same time. General guidelines are 6 weeks for initial recovery, 12 weeks before you can start thinking of getting back to normal and 12 months, possibly even 2 years to full recovery, but it varies very much between individuals and even knees. They say no two are the same even on the same person. I'm coming up to 10 weeks post TKR . The first three weeks were tough, week 4 things improved, but then I overdid it and week 5 wasn't so hot. Week 6 onwards has seen improvement on an almost daily basis and I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I wish you a successful operation and recovery. Good luck!

• Posted

hi pal, mid 20s and early 30s a write off for me, could hardly walk but kept going, swimming, gentle cycle on a smooth outdoor track every now and then, but my first knee 3 years ago was a new start, changed my life, 7 months later i was on top of BEN NEVIS mountain, i was able to kick ball with my son, and enjoy a normal life, i worked harder than i could explain to recover but i have always kept positive, its not easy and its an emotional challenge but the rewards are amazing if you want it

• Posted

thats great to hear. nice to hear some positive stories on here for a change. how did the recovery work?

• Posted

lots of emotional breakdowns ha

push your limit every day but equally take the rest and use the ice, i will be back in the water as soon as allowed, its awesome for me, having a broken foot and ankle this time, this is my plan.

its a slow process, frustrating too, one day you see a big leap forward but tomorrow can see you back with an even bigger challenge, keep mentally positive and keep good people around you

• Posted

i appreciate your honesty.

i am concerned about the op. my knee gives me alot of issues and prevents me from doing anything but walk, however, i can walk ok which is a better position than some are in.

it is a gamble but i think it is one worth taking

• Posted

bigj111182,

With reference to climbing BEN NEVIS

. Well Done !!!

. I hope to be able to climb up Ben Nevis one day - I had TKR 9 months ago but the only hill i have been able to climb (not too well) recently was the West Kip in the Pentland Hills near Edinburgh

. Did you use any pain-killers on that day?

. How long did it take for your knee to recover from visiting the BEN?

. Was your knee operations Total Knee Replacement?

. What age were you when you climbed the BEN?

• Posted

Hi,

I was still 32 when i climbed Ben Nevis, my muscles were not ready, but I managed, I just used my normal pain relief but it took me 2-3 days to recover with lots of rest and ice.

Both of my knees have had total replacements

• Posted

It's very early days; don't push it too hard. It will come when it's ready. Try to keep the swelling down for a start and just do a couple of heel slides as often as you like, rather than doing them in sets of 10. I found that helped ease stiffness in the knee, but only bring the heel in until you feel discomfort, not pain. Wishing you an uneventful and successful recovery. 2 TKR's at your age is tough.

• Posted

Hi

i was wondering what made you go to tkr at such an early age? I am a fellow knee pain sufferer but i still dunno what is wrong with my knee neither do the drs

• Posted

i have had problems most of my life - had a number of operations to help and have been able to get around pretty well but not been able to run / cycle for a number of years. i have two young children and want to be able to do more with them.

• Posted

hi, i suffered from early teens with my right knee being told i had growing pains to ligament problems then eventually diagnosed with arthritis, suffering the 3 main types, imflamitory, osteo and Rheumatiod, getting symptons from all was hard to medicate, deteriation was fast and i fought hard for a long time until i was 32 and they granted my first knee based on quality of life, my second this week was simply due to my first being a success, i am a very positive person, never complain, never give up, sure i want to at times but having young kids, i want more for them. this was my ammunition to get the surgeon to do it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.