TKR one day

Posted , 6 users are following.

I live in france and I went to see my surgeon yesterday and have to have my replacement on 2nd May........so SCARED.

Iam amazed that he said I will be in and put in the day, even though I will have a general..

can anyone put my mind at rest please. I have had a new hip and that was a dodle, but dont know why but am crying and so scared.

Thank you all

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Scared is not an option...so don't be. It's just an op...you go to sleep and wake up with a new knee. Simple...well, not quite.

First, prepare your home. Get rid of all throw rugs that you can trip over, pre-cook a bunch or meals, put a small table by your bed to have your water, meds and snacks close at hand, etc. You will get lots of advice on here about how to do that. Also know that you will be taking meds, icing and elevating your leg a lot, especially in the first 90 days. There will be pain and a lot of difficulty sleeping. Those first 3 months are the worst but you get through them. Use a walking aid as much as you need to until you regain your balance.

The first three months are spent getting your ROM back to 0 straight and 120 bent. Takes work. After that, you will need to rebuild all the dead muscles that support the knee. Meanwhile you may have pain elsewhere (other knee, hips, back, etc.) as your body compensates for the pain of the new knee. Normal. This takes months. Listen to your knee and track your steps (time and distance are irrelevant). Do too much and the knee swells. Again, ice and elevate. Normal. This work is slow and steady. Any pain, stiffness, tightness, etc. goes away gradually. Most people return to work in 4-6 months depending on age, job, recovery and more. Do not expect to be on your feet or even sitting and working 8 hours a day in 3 months. Will not likely happen.

The whole thing takes a year...usually. Some people luck out and get better faster; others take 18 months. Most of us fall in the middle. But it is important that you rid yourself of any expectations or timetables. "It's been x months and I should be better." No you shouldn't. Your knee will heal in its own time. There are no schedules and everyone is different. Concentrate on giving yourself time to heal, having the patience to let that occur and do the necessary ROM and muscle work to regain your normal life.

Click my name, Discussions and then See All. I have about 30 out there covering all sorts of topics. Hope they help. You're stronger than you think...believe it.

• Posted

I live in the US. my TKR was an overnight stay with physical therapy starting four days later...3 times a week. I would suggest clearing away area rugs...furniture etc so that you have a clear path for using a walker. put things where they are within easy reach. I slept on a reclining couch on the first floor for about 4 weeks. I have a half bath on my first floor. my incision was glued...not stapled so showering was ok right from the beginning. but I didn't go up to shower the first week. and when I did, I had someone in the house in case there was a problem.

for me, at age 64, this was an 8 to 10 week recovery. I kept a journal as I found some people forget the details.

I live alone, but am fortunate to have adult children and a few retired friends that helped out.

I did not stay alone the first 4 nights.

take your pain meds as directed and do your exercises or physical therapy. ice and elevate. try to be patient and look at it week to week...not day to day.

I will be 4 months out in two weeks. I still have stiffness (not pain) after walking or coming home from my volunteer groups.

my physical therapist does not believe I in causing terrible pain so going to each session was not dreaded. it wasn't easy...but tremendously helpful for recovery. everyone is different with recovery. I am still on the recovery road..but doing much better.

best of luck to you. this forum was so helpful to me.

• Posted

****> > * > CHICO mentioned dead muscles - they arent dead - dont be afraid. The muscles are just weakened and need to be strengthened again they get pushed out if the way in surgery

• Posted

Sorry..."atrophied" is the correct term. The problem is that your quads, glutes, core and more have all weakened from lack of use. Think of a person's bicep after their arm has been in a cast for 6 weeks...toothpick. Same thing with all the musculature that supports the knee. Just have to build them up again.

This serves a number of purposes:

• At the beginning, you're going to walk on that leg. The problem is the muscles are all weak and the weight load is directly on your new knee causing more pain. To avoid that pain, the body automatically (unconsciously) shifts the weight to other muscle groups (other leg, calf, hips, lower back, etc.) to compensate thereby causing pain in those other areas. To avoid as much of this as possible, it's imperative to regain the strength of those muscles ASAP. Recommendation is to seriously start the rebuild after you have your ROM back...8-12 weeks.
      • Getting all those muscles back doing what they're supposed to do (support the knee), then takes the load off the new joint. This will allow you to walk correctly, regain your balance and be able to climb stairs normally (alternating legs both up and down without holding onto anything). Mastering stairs will take a while.
      • By your one year a-knee-versary, you'll be pretty much back to normal. There will probably be some residual stiffness, tightness, clunking sounds, etc. that usually resolve by 18 months. All normal.

Note that I have described a more or less "typical" recovery. Everyone is different and may experience other issues, take more or less time, etc. The important thing is to NOT compare yourself to anyone else as you must own your recovery. Time, work and patience are your tools.

• Posted

Starting with strong muscles help tremendously. IF they can be strengthened before surgery, its a big help!! BELIEVE ME

• Posted

Hi had my 2nd replacement 2 weeks ago spinal on the Friday home on Sunday I was fine. Try not to worry so much I know it's a scary op but oh the results speak for itself. Think of being pain-free after what seems a life of pain. Set yourself goals and each time you achieve one reward yourself after all it's you who will be doing the work but I don't regret either of mine. Yes initially after the 1st I swore no no never again but time heals. This one has been so different walking with 1 stick sleeping and pain yes but what do you expect after major surgery. Do I regret it a big fat NO. Thinking of you good luck xx by the way I'm in the UK up in Durham. X

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I'm having my right knee done on April 25th and after reading some of these threads am now worried silly.

I've had to fight to get mine done 6 years after being told I need it just because of my age.

I will private message you so can stay in touch x

• Posted

Hi lynn had my second tkr 4 weeks ago yes it's painful at first but what isn't. You get a tooth out and it's painful but with time and the right meds exercises it's worth it. Had my first 12 months ago and swore would never ever get my other done. Well I have and pleased to know shortly it will be like the other knee pain free. The difference now is I know this pain is going to be short lived whereas the arthritis was something that would continue it was never going to end. I'm please had mine done yes there's some horror stories out there but take no notice everyone is different. Would I do it again yes it's worth it. Been to see the physio today 98' bend which he said was really good now I've started the excercise classes hopefully in a few weeks will be hunky dory no cane needed now so ignore the horror listen to your body when you get it done. Remember it's a major op so needs time for your body yo heal. Good luck you'll be fine x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.