TKR one week ago, now numbness

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi everyone. One week ago today I had TKR. There is lots and lots of bruising.  A fairly large area around my knee feels numb. Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Gynna  yes yes yes  i had alot of bruising.   Had both knees done - both had a lot of bruising - totally normal.  It WILL go away - and the numbness too -totally normal - will get better in time - you are in very early days - hang in there!!
    • Posted

Thank you Jeannie!!  All those words help 😀

• Posted

99% will probably say yes. Remember you have been through one brutal procedure. The healing process changes daily but it's part of the process. Find remarks from Chico Marx and scan through them. You will find many answers to this this called rehabilitation. Don't expect to be off to much of a start till the stitches/stOle a are gone. Just keep doing the basics and remember the ice pack is and will be your best friend for a long time. Everyone is different so don't try and pattern your recoverybased on anyone else's. Just take the suggestions as an across the board guideline of what to expect. Don't try to rush things by overdoing but be faithful to the process. Its not a cakewalk but you'll get there. 6, 13 , 26 weeks are benchmarks. No matter how you feel at this moment, you will heal and walk again.

• Posted

Thank you thank you. It's all new to me. You are very reassuring. 

• Posted

Yes, i was told it was all normal. I had lovely bruises all along my leg! And the numb area is still there weeks later, but that can last a long time it seems. Not much fun, but not that bad.

​Look after yourself, resting, icing and keep moving the knee as well.

• Posted

Thanks Cynthia. Not fun, no, but so far not too bad. 👍

• Posted

Just about everyone I would think!  Two and half years later I still have numbness around the outside of the knee. . no longer total, but still not like before, and the whole of the thigh.  so yes, very normal, and so is the bruising.  If you were to watch the operation on youtube you would see why all that bruising!  

• Posted

Thanks. I was concerned about the numbness. You have helped allay them. Thank you!
  • Posted

On my first tkr,one year ago,the bruising was multi- coloured and went from my groin to the tips of the toes.

my second tkr,five months later,had next to zero bruising.

Mike

• Posted

Everyone one and every surgery responds differently. Thanks mike
  • Posted

Yes to all of that. I am 12 weeks and the nerve stuff is just now calming down.
  • Posted

Totally normal.  Nerves have been cut or moved aside.  Will take a long while for that to go away.  I'm 15 months and still have a little numbness at the incision area plus nerve tingling when I kneel on it.

• Posted

thank you Chico. It's good to hear from ppl who have been there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.