Tkr pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

my name is Rhonda. I just had my second knee replacement. it's horrible. pain front of knee back of knee.swelling on right side as well.im don't remember my left knee being this bad. can't sleep. on anti depressant. oxy cotton .im ata loss .please I need advise.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rhonda sorry you're having awful time I had my 2nd 4 weeks ago and can honestly say much better than the first 12 months ago. I think this time I was more prepared and knee what to expect whereas the first time is total naivety. I have a 98 bend and have started excercise classes to build up my quads. Am getting at least, 6 hrs uninterrupted sleep. Before bed I take 2 paracetamol 1 tramadol and 5ml of liquid morphine. No other meds at all during the day. Am not suffering from depression thank god but didn't last time so maybe I'm just lucky. I do hope you improve but it's up to us to get the knee working so plenty of excercise and ice. Good luck x

• Posted

When did you have your surgery? I had my 2nd knee done 20 weeks ago. The majority of nights i now can sleep but its my bladder that gets me up. Last night my knee was painful but that is rare. I learned coping strategies to get through the night. i kept my ipad beside my bed and watched but mostly listened to Netflix and streamed TV shows. I found if i didnt get out if bed I would fall back asleep faster. I also use Benadryl as a sleeping aid. I also have allergies. I use a pillow between my legs.

My second knee was much worse than my first. I am much further behind with my second knee. I went out with a friend who has had both her knees done and she was shocked at how slowly im progressing but she is 10 years younger than me. I know from this forum i will get there...i am the turtle in this race. Plus ive had to have plastic surgery on my nose for cancer. I look more like an accident victim.All will get better in time. Take each day as it comes and try to see the positives in your life.

• Posted

I admire your positivity.

I wish I had 1/2 of yours. ALL THE BEST.

• Posted

It was more than positivity. I just couldn't face doing the whole thing twice. Clearnaces, presurgical testing, surgery, hospital, rehab...would lose a whole year. Plus my husband had a triple lumbar fusion September 5 ...had been on pain management since July. We both just wanted this year to get done and done.

This was bad but the anxiety and worry waiting prior to surgery was awful.

• Posted

Thanks Dadka.I always try to keep myself busy and not dwell on the negatives. Life gives you lemons and you make lemonade. I learned my lessons from my Mother.

• Posted

does anyone fill pain on inside of knee as well as back of knee. it keeps from reaching my range of motion.

• Posted

Yes! Inside, back, front sides...all around. I have several exercises from PT that force me to pull my knee past 90 degree mark and hurts, so I go as far as I can and stop.Also the OTPT glider really works this.

• Posted

thanks. yea I've been reading up on it. I think maybe infection. I'm. at be 10 wks out. And I'm not sure why it hurts so bad.ice and heat up to 16 hrs a day. nothing works.

• Posted

I just had a bilateral knee three weeks ago. My worst knee was my right one, and after surgery I had 20 pounds of edema both legs triple my normal size. Now my right knee and leg and ankle swelling way down but still more on left side...sometimes it just works that way. But they say with horrible pain that doesn't go away get back to surgeon asap . Yesterday was a bad day for me, first day I didn't do my PT exercises for home PT and PT said I had been pushing too hard, but am managing pain with one to two tramadol 50s per day, one of them at bedtime. Call doc at least and if need be get in.

• Posted

HI Theresa... i had 15 pounds of edema. My surgical knee has gone down in size but is still twice the size of my other knee. It was large before the surgery and i was hoping that it was just fluid around my knee. im seeing my surgeon next week. I cant imagine having both knees done. my surgeon refused saying you need a year in between.

• Posted

Hi Jean

Wow! so my 22 pounds for both knees not horrible. My surgeon is very selective in choosing his bilaterals. I am 76 years old. He did my hip 10 years ago and knows how hard I push my recovery. Also, I had no good knee to rehab on...the other knee wouldn't hold me to even bend slightly. I have asthma, mild arrhthymia, and

diabetes, (in control for ever without any meds, insulin or oral). Also he said you are very "skinny" which makes his job easier. If I got medical clearance he said sure I'll do both on you. This doc is one of the Castle Connelly top docs and has done thousands of knees replacements in his over 25 years of practice. He is somewhat of a rock star surgeon. He operates at HSS in Manhattan but also at my local hospital which had one of the first JACO approved orthopedici joint replacment programs...so I felt confident if he said yes. One of my other docs said his mom had one knee done nine months ago (different surgeon). she is 85...had all kinds of problems but her surgeon said it could be a few years before she needed the second one and then nine months later she wound up having to have second one done. So hard recovery and I would caution anyone about that if they are considering bilaterals, but now it is two and done. My surgeon still believes in wearing the leg immobilizers for 2 to 3 weeks . THey weight a ton and have 12 velcro straps on each, from groin to ankle and I had to have those removed 3 times a night just to go to bathroom. So not much sleep until they came off.

Keeo us posted. When was first knee done? We are going to try to use cane next week, but for going out, still need walker . With two knees, they will hold me upright,but balance is the issue...I can nicely leave walker at counter or table and side step without it though...they taught me that pretty quickly.

• Posted

Hi Therese

Sounds like you are in good hands. Good luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.