TKR pain worse at night

Posted , 23 users are following.

Why does my TKR pain hurt so much worse at night than during the day? 12 days post op. 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Although I don't have a great answer for this, my guess is the inactivity and increased stiffness by lack of movement. Many of us have commented how difficult it is to sleep at night after a TKR. In my case it was the pain at night, trying to get comfortable, and increased stiffness that kept me awake so I don't think your experience is all that unusual. Difficult yes. Hang in there, it really does get better with time and exercise. Perhaps arranging your medications so that you're taking them before bed might help. I also kept them on my nightstand if it fell within the allotted hours permitted for the next dose. Best wishes with this journey, it's worth it!

• Posted

Thank you.  I take my medication at midnight.  The hospital said they don't advise people to elevate their leg after TKR anymore.  Has anyone else hear this?  

• Posted

That is interesting. Did they say why? If anyone knows I would love to know. Could it be just not recommended when a person is in hospital for practical reasons or has there been a change in thinking...seems very odd!

I was told that the physios did not like patients to elevate their knees on pillows, but I said that I was making sure it was straight and no one told me I was not allowed to elevate it. I thought maybe it was to do with just preferring patients to keep their legs flat to help extension?

They may be concerned that people might put the pillow right behind the back of the knee in a way that put pressure on the veins behind it maybe? Or I guess it could be complicated having lots of morphine filled patients with legs rolling off pillows! Or maybe a shortage of pillows! 😀😁😃 who knows! If anyone does, post. It seems very surprising!

• Posted

Hi all you TKR patients.

I have been reading many posts and now I know that I am one of the lucky ones. Yes I have pain at night which keeps me awake unless I take Oromorph or 2 Tramadol and 2 paracetemol.

I have had both knees done within 10 months. WIth both I decided to walk without crutches/aids from day 6. With the last op I did not use crutches etc at all and walked from day 1 at home. By the way, I care for my wife full time so I had to get A in Gear.

I did the excercises diligently months before each op and kept on after the op. Yes it was hell and very painful, but you have to push through. This is the crunch and the main reason for healing so quickly.

I am now 4 weeks post op and I am driving, walking normally and doing all my daily chores.

But oh man , that pain at night! It drives me nuts.

I have tried everything...I also have RSL (restless legs synd) which amplifies my pain. This night pain is the worst aspect of the op.

Good luck to all of you

• Posted

I have RLS too. Tried a bunch of meds but settled on 1 mg Xanax 15 minutes before bedtime just to relax the muscles...no RLS...

• Posted

Hi Lynn.

I had it a lot first 4weeks I am now at end of 5th week and I can feel a change. I just used pillows placed in various positions and massage before getting into bed. Are you drinking plenty of water this is a must. The stiffness and pain is beginning to ease for me now and I am doing more around the house. Stick with it. Try to do exercises at reasonable intervals throughout the day. In fact I found my night time pain and stiffness was worse if I had a rest day from the exercises. It's a baffling type of recovery that's for sure. Use your ice pack and take your painkillers at regular intervals too. I get up out of bed some times and walk about and again massage the leg. It's certainly not easy to control at this stage of recovery. Take care. X

• Posted

Thank you Daphne.  All of that is helpful.  I will definitely drink more and try to walk around more to combat the stiffness.  Thanks. X 
  • Posted

I had awful first 2 weeks at home, in tears many times through lack of sleep & pain.  It was so bad I was even on morphine at night. Stiffness, pain down my calves. The thing that worked for me was walking around and massage, using voltarol gel. It will take time but I'm now at 5 weeks and pain and stiffness is all much better now. Make sure your exercises are done, ice and elevate. Hope this helps and it improves for you soon. 

• Posted

Sharon, 

People sharing like this does help and keeps us from feeling like we're the only one.  I'm very sorry to hear about the morphine.  I've had as much pain from my ankle and shin for some reason as I have my knee.  I suppose we're all bruised on the inside from the surgery.  Glad you're feeling better.  It gives me hope.  I'm using ice right now.  Thank you.  

• Posted

I've been told the ankle and thigh pain is due to the tourniquets and straps used during surgery. I have SEVERE pain in my ankle and the front of my thigh. At night I get severe shooting pain in the knee to the point of tears nightly. SLEEP! Sleep is very elusive. OXYCODONE only helps a couple hours. -ditto with NORCO ES. TRAMADOL is not much help either. Im taking Mobic twice a day and TYLENOL 1,000 mg at bedtime along with 5 mg of ambien juat to fall asleep. I am also using a lot of Icy HOT with lidocaine, biofreeze, etc. when the first half of my ambien wears off in a couple hours intake the other half (another 5 mg). WITH ALL THIS I might sleep four very brokwn hours. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

• Posted

I had TKR 5 years ago and mine was like this.

I think what happened to me was during the day you are moving around more.

At night the knee gets stiff.

I would go to bed and initially got to sleep quite quickly.

Then I would wake up an hour or two later in pain and was unable to go back to sleep.

Try sleeping with a pillow underneath the knee and maybe one between your legs as well.

It was quite a long time before I could sleep on my side again so ws sleeping on my back.

Hang in there, it does get better.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah,

Same here.  Go to sleep then two hours later wake up very sore and unable to go back to sleep.  My ankle and shin are super sore.  Icing them too.  Can't sleep on side yet.  Look forward to when I can. We take simple things for granted.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel rather panicky when lying on my back for hours.  I've got to sit up or walk around.  I get the surgical clips out Monday.  Another milestone passed.  I didn't think I could give myself shots but have been able to do it.  Thank you very much.  

• Posted

I had no problem sleeping after op I'm 5 weeks post but now have difficulty sleeping trying to get into a comfortable position. Make sure you take your meds and icing if you have to ice when on bed it may help hope settles down soon

• Posted

Denise,

I am very sorry to hear about the sleep issues. For now I am sleeping in the recliner.  My husband took a big plastic storage box and put a soft blanket on top of it.  My ankle and shin are sore so I rest them on the box after I am reclining.  It is working well.  I've learned how to take my crutch while still sitting and to push the box away and then I use the elbow rest on one crutch to push it back towards me and it is just the right height to slip my feet on.  I find laying in the bed torture.  

• Posted

Bless you as I'm told by everyone 3 months down the line it will get better I sometimes wish I hadn't had it done I've had a knee cap replacement but have been told probably need a tkr in a couple of years have been told sometimes the pain is as bad as a tkr I'm having physio every week b4 starting the hospital sessions which are more intense 45mins. I have loss of muscle movement above my knee need to get the glups working can't lift my leg but getting there slowly think I only have 45degree bend as well. Got to admit I am missing work have started knitting. Hope you improve soon keep at the exercises and take your meds I have cut down my meds only take if needed wishing you all the best

• Posted

Denise,

I understand the loss of glups working.  My husband and I work together so he is going solo at the present time.  I will cut down on the meds as soon as  I can.  I start physio Monday.  My ankle and shin hurt badly.  Don't look forward to physio although I am doing the beginning excercises now.  Hope you can return to work soon.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.