TKR Persisting Stiffness and Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Three years after the TKR operation. Stiffness and pain are the main issues. But,  at age 69 running is anyhow out of the question. Standing not recommended. Walking short distances, only.  Limited extension/flexion means limping.  However, driving works beautifully since my successful cataract operation ( new bi-focal lenses).  Automatic transmission, of course. If you really need to step walk and stand around the option is  "revision, " i.e., big operation with a new implant and all the associated risks. The pain problem.  If you really need to walk and stand a lot take 50 mg Tramadol with strong coffee No Sugar! (control your weight!).  Otherwise, half a capsule = 25 mg will do. Or try without, i.e., Aspirin or Paracetamol.  Or if you're a diehard no medicine just bear the limp and the pain. And consider a revision - with all associated risks.   Bangkok-Johnny 'Still Limping' 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well I'm only 6 weeks post op a bit depressing hearing someone have difficulties 3 years down the line 😢 Well I suppose you'll have to make some sort of a decision just ask yourself how bad were you before you had the TKR that made you decide to go through with the op in the first place. Is the pain as bad as it was then? If you can manage now maybe keep doing what you're doing, surely a revision is going to be a more risky operation than your initial TKR  x 

• Posted

Don't let it get you down. We are all so different that one persons situation differs from another that you can't even try to compare. As I have said before, age, weight, pre surgery condition health and post surgery rehab weighs heavily as well. I woke up this morning with a pain that is like something I haven't experienced for many months and the only thing I can think of is barometric pressure and believe me, that's a real possibility. Its a roller coaster ride that has different bends and curves very day. All you can do is try not to get overly caught up in the day to day situation and hope the peaks and valleys don't drive you completely nuts. Health issues seem to run that way. My wife's Parkinson's disease is very much the same situation so with two of us going through it at different levels I keep thinking its a good thing she never was a drinker and I pretty much quit when I retired and stopped entertaining clients otherwise we would have alcohol dependency to add to our problems. Keep on with a healthy attitude and it will all work out the best.

For a number of years we had a young, very upbeat and extremely attentitive gal as our primary care doc. (Unfortunately she changed practices and medical facilities that because if distance made it impractical. For us to follow her). One day after both my wife and I were having some difficult issues Cassie patted me on the back and said, sometime you have to face facts and just understand that some people are just " s**t magnets" at times and this is one of those times for you. Hang in there just don't hang it up.

• Posted

Before and after. Of, course it was worse before my TKR. However, I was expecting more 'walkability' and less pain after the operation. The walk, limping  I can't control since the extension and flexion are very reduced. I wonder, how many percent of the TKR patients are limping? The pain in my case is related to standing, walking and hopping downstairs is on/off. Overall I am feeling  than before the OP. TKR results depend very much on the bone, ligament and muscle condition before the operation. My pre-op knee was a worst-case scenario.  Today, at age 69 I have realized that  I am not going to run marathons or mini-marathons, or doing long walks. So I just carry on low-dose Tramadol/Paracetamol for the pain. And lots of freshly brewed coffee (no sugar!) to get going in the morning. Finally, gravity is an issue. Therefore weight control is essential for all TKR patients.  BTW driving is recommended for all TKR patients. Get out of the house and DRIVE!  Step on it (the accelerator)  Go places. Good Luck! Bangkok-Johnny   

• Posted

I find that often times surgeons are a little less than direct when it come to doing this surgery. Too many people are given the "6 weeks and good as new" message and they don't fully understand the real problems that go with it. In the 5 complete rehab I've been through, none ha e been the same, either in process or outcome. Don't look at the calendar, don't dwell on bend but do work very hard on extension because extension will cut down the possibility of limp. Time isn't a reason to stop exercise and icing because for some it can be a lifetime activity. I'm 80, had 11 surgeries and I'm full time care giver to a spose with advance Parkinson's. With that, I do leg lifts, slides, extension exercise, ice and massage daily. There is no plateau for many...you are either getting stronger or weaker and a Lot of it is your choice. Make the most of what you have left. Like .y therapist told me the 1st time we met. I can do 15% of the rehab, the other 85 is on you. Sometimes the brain says if I really push it I'll get better faster but the body says I can only take so much so slow down and be steady in your efforts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.