TKR Post 14 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Guys not been on here for a while hoping I can ask for some advice? Had my TKR 14 weeks ago and have been very very lucky sailed through no problems or issues. The past couple of weeks I have been having a twinge at the back of my knee on the outside when I come down the stairs. If I turn slightly to my left its not so bad? Also my knee has been very creaky, no pain but stiff if i set for too long or if I keep my leg straight in bed it feels like im stretching the back of the knee to much?

thanks guys

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Its sounds ok to me....little twinges are common..zingy type sensations...I think the nerves coming back to life! Also stiff when you sit for a while...I have that still even at five months. Regarding the back of knee I would suggest regularly stretching, i.e. standing plank... and any other stretches that work on that area. Nice to hear from you! Things will continue to improve. Keep stretching and exercising as much as possible.. 😊

• Posted

I love your description for what we both appear to be experiencing "zingy type sensations" I call it a judder. Most disturbing when it happens! I usually get it when I'm in bed.

I agree stretching definitely helps, walking round the bed and massage with voltarol usually does the job.

I'm 11 weeks post op and have 104 degrees on the bend

Good luck with your zingys

Helen age 49!

• Posted

You are doing well Helen! Onwards and upwards! It gets easier and easier as time passes!
  • Posted

Hi, I am 11 weeks post op and I also get pain on the outside of my knee. Odd as to touch it. It's still numb.

I am 104 degrees on the bend and have just been discharged from physio but I still struggle to walk up the stairs correctly. I tend to swing my leg out slightly but this is normally towards the end of the day. Coming down the stairs is harder for me as my knee is still very painful when I try to bend it far enough to step down. My stairs are quite steep though. I manage fine on a more shallow step.

Nights for me are still a struggle due to the stiffness. I'm woken up by the pain every two hours on average.

I'm constantly being told that it's still early days.

I do find things are getting better week by week.

Hang on in there. I'm sure we will be back to full strength before long.

Good luck

Helen age 49!

• Posted

Still numb?  Get used to it.  I'm 17 MONTHS and there's still some numbness.  They cut all the nerves in there.  Some regenerate but I doubt if everything will come back 100%.  And accept the fact that 11 weeks absolutely is still early.  The reality: recovery takes a year for most people.  Somewhere between 6 and 9 months, most start "feeling like themselves" again because almost all that pain is gone but stiffness, tightness, clunking and popping sounds, stair climbing issues and more are still common.  Have to follow PT with a leg/glutes/core strengthening program.  This does not get better by sitting around.  Put in the work...get the results.  Just take the time pressure off yourself.  Everyone's different.  Concentrate on your recovery and don't compare yourself to anyone else.  You'll find yourself to be a happier person.  Be Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better."

• Posted

Glutes. ..Yes, never realised butt exercises where so important in TKR rehabilitation... mine remind me every day! 😁😂😃😄

• Posted

Yeah, my Oct 2015 knee is still numb, I don't mind. Heaps better than the pain!

• Posted

Found that out when I had my hip replaced in '09.  We don't realize how it's all connected: quads, hamstrings, glutes and core.  Everything has to be addressed so as to restore the proper balance in your body to support the new joint. People think that when they're done with PT, the work is over when, in fact, it's just beginning. Strengthening and alignment are critical to recovery, else you start feeling discomfort, favor one side over the other and start limping again for the rest of your life.  Not a good path to follow.  The problem is that exercising to build the strength and balance takes both time and commitment...a real lifestyle change.  The older we get, the harder it is to break our old routines...but the choice is to do that or start on a downward slide that ends badly.  Personally, I'd really like to be feeling pretty good in 20 years at age 90.  It's all about choices.

• Posted

Thanks Chico

Is it normal for me to still feel exhausted during the day at 11 weeks? Good days and bad days and very sore towards the end of the day?

• Posted

At your stage, I was still sleeping 12-16 hours a day...no drugs.  Asked my GP...the response:

"All of the energy in your body is being directed to healing your knee.  Of course, you're exhausted.  When your body tells you to rest and sleep, just do it."

This is a no-brainer but people feel compelled to "get back to normal" before their body is ready.  This is healing time...getting back "up to speed" will take a while.  Eat healthy (protein, salads, lean meats, fish, nuts), hydrate a lot, eliminate artificial sweeteners and bad sugars, eat more fruit, exercise...  Do everything you can to give your body the energy it needs to heal itself.

• Posted

I had about 10 major abdominal surgeries between 1978 and 1994,  so I have many many numb areas in my abdomen area.  All perfectly normal and it doesn't worry me at all. You just get used to it.

• Posted

I am almost 52 wks post op. Still have tringes now and then.  Everything is normal otherwise. It can take up to 2 yrs. for everything to calm down. 

Besides open heart surgery, this is the worst major surgery. 

• Posted

Keep walking up and down those stairs for exercise and it'll help. The leg straight back of the new thing is usually a tight hamstring, google exercises for that and do them often and it'll get better! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.