TKR progress

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 63 and 3 weeks post op, currently walking without crutches (over a week now) have 0 to 110 degree movement. However, getting up from sofa or lowish chairs and walking up stairs is very painful around the bottom of the knee cap. 

Any views?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Philipcyprus, you are already doing very well but I think you are in too much of a hurry.  The wound needs time to heal and is still very swollen at this stage.  My surgeon described a TKR as being a 'brutal' procedure.  You have to support yourself getting up from a low sitting position and support yourself on the rail going up and down stairs. Doing your exercises will improve your muscle strength and enable you to get up from a sitting position as well as up and down stairs with more ease. I am 55 years old and had my left TKR in January 2016 and the right TKR in August 2016.  Still experiencing aches and pains when overdoing things and I still ice both knees every night to reduce swelling which, in turn, improves mobility.  Hang in there, it gets better with time!

• Posted

Thanks, supoose due to the fact that I was resonablly mobile form a early stage after op I keep pushing myself for dialy improvements.

I do ice, about 3 times per day and rest.

Thanks for the info.

• Posted

Hi Philipcyprus,

I agree wholeheartedly with 2Meraai. Don't try to run before you can crawl as the saying goes.

3 weeks is sooo early in your recovery. Your body hasn't even recovered from the surgery yet, let alone started to rehabilitate to its former state.

Build on your exercises, ice, rest ( you will need it), elevate & warmth to aid movement.

It took many years to get to the point of needing TKR you will need some time to readjust to having a fully functioning knee again.

Good luck, you will get there when you're ready.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

You are doing really well. When I had TKR neasrly 5 years ago it took me 6 weeks to get to 90 degrees. Happy to say TKR was a completel success.

Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy will loan you equipment after you come home. One of the things they lent me is a chair raiser. Neasrly 5 years on I still have it and use it!!!!

Onwards and upwards.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

- Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

- Doctor: "Don't do that."

- Henny Youngman, 1946

#1 - Avoid those types of chairs and sofas.  Duh...

#2 - At 3 weeks post op, you've just started your journey.  Stairs are an advanced skill after you've done your PT and then rebuilt your quads, glutes and core.  It takes a lot of effort to do stairs and they are very, very difficult if you haven't worked on your leg strength.  This takes time and effort...be patient and do the work.  You'll get there.

• Posted

Before op I was playing golf 3 to 4 days a week which translates into about 20 miles walking a week.  Additionally, before op was in the gym working on all you mentioned - think that has helped.
    • Posted

Most people don't prepare for the brutality of this...I was one of them.  Always rebounded from surgery so very easily...not this time.  At 11 months I'm still not done.  For you, the walking during golf will be great.  Eschew the golf cart!!!  Walk, walk, walk.  Just watch for swelling which means you did too much that day.  Back off a bit but keep it up.

Five weeks post-op, I walked with my daughter in a mall.  Felt OK.  That night...balloon time.  Checked my FitBit...8,200+ STEPS!!!  Never made that mistake again...

• Posted

I did an awful lot of research and spoke with surgeon, all of which indicated due the pre-op work.

I hope it's worked/working.

• Posted

I also had the oxinium replacement knee, cost more but lighter, harder wearing and lower viscosity.
  • Posted

It will go away in time. You need to strengthen those muscles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.