TKR question

Posted , 7 users are following.

this may seem like an insignificant question but I was wondering if the new knee replacement would weigh more than our knee joint they took out.  It seems like it would.

thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I thought so too but Who is a scientist says titanium is the lightest metal there is
    • Posted

My brother is the scientist
    • Posted

But a lot of implants are made of a cobalt-chromium alloy and not titanium.  Cobalt-chromium alloys are hard, tough, corrosion-resistant, biocompatible metals while pure titanium is generally used in implants where high strength is not necessary.  Gotta talk to your doc about which one he/she intends to use and why.
  • Posted

Depending on the vendor, a full knee replacement joint can weigh anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds...some may be a bit more depending on how much of the original bone is cut away and the spacers required to fill the gap.  The original bone should weigh less than that of its replacement which, after all, is a mechanical device made of metal.
    • Posted

Ahh, no wonder why I weigh more now.. Now I don't feel guilty about the cookies I ate.

• Posted

Ooh yeah, the chocolates well wishers brought!

I should have eaten them all myself instead of sharing!!!

XX

Ps must remember this when they do the other leg!!

😄😄

• Posted

I will have to ask my doc next week what he used.  I guess a couple of pounds is worth having a brand new working knee😊

• Posted

Hi Robin. Di in Australia. My knee is titaniam and my surgeon said weighed between half to one kilo, one and a half to 2.2 pounds, depending on thickness and size of the joint. There are 35 sizes as a tiny ladies knee would not fit a big man. He used a GPS to position the knee.

Do you realise you are no longer weightless when swimming and also your knee gets cold in the winter from the inside. Some night pain may be caused by this.

Good luck..i am 12 weeks post second knee.

• Posted

Very interested.  Thanks Di
  • Posted

It certainly feels as if it weight about a hundredweight to begin with . . . like a block of cement!  I believe it actually is a bit heavier, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.