TKR Question

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am age 84 and am suffering a lot of pain from severe osteoarthritis in both knees (walking bone on bone) I have had two lots of cortisone injections which worked like magic. However, I saw a consultant who has recommended TKR on each knee. He also wouldn't OK another lot of injections before my op' as there is a risk of infection. I can see the point of that but he then told me that his waiting time was eight months and it was much the same for all of his colleagues. I am now scarcely able to walk, get very little sleep and am in pain for most of the time. I have tried Co-codamol but it makes me sick, as does Tramadol and I can't take NSAIDs owing to stomach problems so I take Paracetamol, which does practically nothing. The thought of being like this for probably eight months is unbearable and all I can hope for is that someone will cancel and I can get treated earlier. It makes me wonder if I will still be around when they send for me.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

so sorry to hear about being in so

much pain and waiting time . When i saw my GP , i was seen at the private hospital 8 days later, through the 'choose and book', surgery done 8 weeks later on the NHS . Our local l hospital too had very long waiting times !

Do hope you manage to get something much sooner and enjoy a better quality of life. Sending best wishes

Mechele x

• Posted

I had a TKR in June 2017. I spoke with my GP and asked for an 'E-Referral' which isnt widely publicised. It is the legal right of a UK citizen to choose to have surgery privately and the NHS fund it, providing they have the necessary relationship with the private hospital.

From GP to initial consultant visit, to surgery was around 3 months. The surgery was a disaster, requiring a revision in April this year, but thats another story.

My non-TKR knee needs sorting, but Im reluctant to go back down the TKR route, so will be seeing my GP next week to request an E-referral for an Osteotomy. The surgeon who did my revision is retiring in March 20 and he fully expects to be able to fit me in for the Osteotomy if I take this route, whereas I would have no chance should I join the NHS waiting list....

Hope this helps....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.