TKR replaced

Posted , 7 users are following.

after 18 months of pain and my bend isn't good my surgeon has told me my knee replacement is too small.

ive just had surgery on the other knee ACL & LCL ligament repair so I have to wait until this leg is strong enough 

has anyone else had their joint replaced? And how did the new joint go 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Oh my goodness, that is awful! How is it that he didn't know it was too small to begin with?  Maybe you should find another dr?
    • Posted

Hi jesn

I am currently recovrring fro my gourth tkr on left lleg. This revovrery is muvh sloer

• Posted

I had numerous MRI scans and xrays to determine the size of my new joint.

They even cancelled my op as the joint was to big. Maybe they shaved too much off it and made it too small.

I have to have a bone scan next week. However I'm recovering from ligament surgery on the other knee so they can't operate until that leg is stable.

This is 2 years 4 months after my motorbike accident.

What a mess !!

• Posted

I too had to have my knee "revised". I changed DR's and recommend you also do so.

In my case my knee cap was "banging" on the implant and so I needed the knee cap shaved down and a "button" put on it. (should have been done in original surgery). While going in there, the surgeon said that I needed to have a larger poly peice inserted to tighten the implant.

Lots of pain and a nother surgery.....but much easier the second time around.

Jim

• Posted

hope youre ok Jim

I have had my pre op today now so surgery will be any day now as i've asked for a cancellation.

i'm having the same surgeon as apparently he's one of the top surgeons in the country, and I must be one of the 20% that needs a revision

What is to be expected after a revision compared to the first op?

• Posted

Christine

I am so confused when I read on hear on these forums that people get the wrong size knees. I had both knees done the same day ,but my surgeon had my knees made for me. If this option is available why don't all doctor use it. I've been back for my check up and all is well my knees are straight, my scars are straight. I know that when you get custom made knees there is less cutting and pounding. So if your going to get TKR ask your doctor about these knees.

• Posted

My knee was custom made Tana I had loads of MRI scans and xrays.

The first joint came back too big so why was the joint I had fitted now turn out to be too small?

• Posted

I had a revision after 9 years. Going to a different Dr in a different location ( now at a university medical center, a teaching hospital) . The surgeon used a different mfg and different design. I feel like the revision is a much better product.
    • Posted

Hi

Lets see what my consultant says after my bone scan next week. His team have already told me the joint is too small. its unbelievable really after my op was cancelled for 4 weeks as the joint they sent was too big.

• Posted

Hi 

I've had my pre-op today, so should have revision soon 

Hopefully very soon 

• Posted

I had my bone scan today. I had an injection with a small amount of radium. They took CT pictures then I had to go back after 3 hours to have more pictures done.

I'm back to see my consultant at Wrightington on Tuesday.

Wrightington is one of the best hospitals in the north west for knee and hip injuries.

Most of the top footballers go there

• Posted

Hi christine

With each revision it is a harder rehab. I have had 4 knees to left leg the latest oct last year.i have lot problems with strenght

• Posted

Wow April I didn't know that they would do same knee first time.

how long since 1st TKR?

i just want this over with Jan 2014 was my accident sad

• Posted

April is Definately spot on when it comes to strength. I am now in my 5th rehab, third knee and 11th surgery in this leg and found ROM came quicker ( I was at a 3 the week of surgery and hit 117 in 6 months) but still have to be carefull regarding strength. The July 4th weekend ( the celebration of ridding ouselves of the money grubbing king) I was heeding my 5 am. call of nature when 1/2 way through a long, slow stride my hip gave way and my entire weak leg side dropped straight down. We have a camel back trunk at the foot of the bed and to make sure I missed hitting that I gave a sudden movie that sent me to the wall and.floor. X rays prove no damage to the prosthesis but twisted my back severely, strained my hip, cut my elbow and put a bump on my head. When i went down my leg came up so fast I could hear and feel scar tissue ripping. I was still screaming from that pain when I hit the floor. One side note, my wife has Parkinson's and keeps her walker by the bed. She decided, with a great lack of forethought to help. As she has absolutely 0 strength I told her to stay in bed. After 58 years I should have known I was wasting my breath as she soul do as she pleased......and she did. In getting up she turned her walker to square it with the bed and smacked me on the other side of the head from the one I banged on the wall and floor.

Yep........you gotta take extra precautions the nor times they cut on you. I know one thing, in the blink of an eye i went through that 117 to about 130......inhad my MUA without the UA. I still break out in a cold sweat when I think about the pain.

BTW....I start PT next week to get the back and hip straightened out again.

• Posted

Hi OFG

Hope you are as well as can be

I remember Nov 2014 when I was going through my first knee replacement and your replies gave me great encouragement. I also had MUA 6 months later. I cant believe you had no anaesthetic as I was in agony when I woke up.

This didn't work as after many more xrays and scans with injection at the hospital they decided my prosthesis was too small.

So now, since my pre op Monday I'm on the shortlist for a revision.

I've been told this will be longer than previous replacement and that was 4 and half hours.

I just want it over with. My surgeon has 3 weeks off in August so Im hoping to get in before that. Maybe a cancellation will turn up.

• Posted

Mine wasn't by choice. When my knee gave out my entire left side did too. My bad bent so fast and hard it just ripped right through the scar tissue. I can tell you the scream had to send shock waves around the neighborhood.

I sure hope you get relief from the correction. Makes you wonder how something like that can happen in today's surgery.

Good luck and keep us advised

• Posted

My surgery isn't by choice either OFG.

They have fitted the wrong prothesis. The original TKR was after a motorbike accident when my knee was smashed up and I couldn't walk for 18 months.

I was 1 week out of ligament surgery on my other leg when we had a car accident and I had to jump out of a burning car. I felt something pop and rip behind my knee. The pain was immense, I had tore my hamstring. Luckily no ligament damage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.