TKR Results

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'd like to hear from someone who is 18-24 months post TKR. How are you feeling? do you still have swelling and discomfort? Does this ever end?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Paula,

i will be 3 years post RTKR in February 2019. I do have slight swelling sometimes but no pain. I learned that this is a life changing operation. During this post operative time, I know that the swelling and pain decreased for me as I continued to walk, and exercise.

The stronger my leg muscles have become, the less pain and swelling. I have resolved myself to I will have some swelling, but with no pain.

Pam

• Posted

Thanks, Pam. Glad to hear there is hope. Very early in my recovery , I read a post on this board that said TKR teaches you patience. That's the honest truth!

• Posted

I take it you are still having discomfort? That is heartening to hear actually, although not for you. I am nearly 9 months post operation and I do get a bit down sometimes as it still feels like I have this tight clamp around my knee and it starting clicking and clunking recently and it is sometimes painful when I move.

I had a new hip 5 weeks ago and I am hoping things will improve once I am more mobile. At the moment the more I do the worse I feel.

My surgeon did say that I may always have this feeling....Chico, who is a regular on here

said I should give it a name...which I have...'pain in the ass'!!

• Posted

Hi Paula, I am 20 months post revision knee replacement. Mt knee is still swollen a bit, and hurts sometimes, particularly when uncrossing my knees (probably shouldn't do that anyway). It has got better, less painful generally, but I'm not sure the swelling will go down. Still a lot better than if was before. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, Helen. I am just about 11 months out from the TKR and 7 months from scar tissue removal and manipulation. My knee swells to three times its normal size everyday. It just doesn't seem it will ever get better. Glad to hear you see the upside of the surgery. It helps to hear from people that have made it through the worst of it.

• Posted

Two and a half years (plus)... Zero swelling, virtually zero discomfort. No problem walking. Pain in the butt not to be able to tie that shoe lace. Stiffness only when I'm not exercising...have to keep the knee active. Still nerve pain when I kneel on a hard surface. Avoid that!!! I use a 4"foam pad indoors and padded tactical knee pads outside. That nerve pain has diminished a bit but I don't think it will ever go away. I see my chiropractor twice a month to keep my hips aligned so I don't have back pain or discomfort in the other leg. Key: Gotta stay active and alive. Do NOT let the knee keep you from living a full life. Yes, there are activities to avoid...ones that pound or twist the knee. Other than that, no issues.

• Posted

Hi Paula,

Am 36 months post TKR on my left leg.

Residual issues that I have had are as follows:

1. heat in knee joint from replacement device especially at nite. This tends to wake me up each nite. One workaround for this is to sleep with a pillow between my knees that tends to help; and
    2. ongoing soreness/stiffness in the knee.

Have learnt to accept these problems and also know that i must do daily exercise to keep my legs strong. In this regard I have found walking, swimming and cycling very helpful.

Hope this helps

Regards

Pete

• Posted

Thanks, Pete. I have the heat in the joint too and use the pillow for the same reason. Sounds like the stiffness is just something that comes along with it. I ride a stationary bike daily and was swimming during the summer and you are right it did help a lot.

• Posted

Paula

Before the op i naively thought that the TKR would result in a new better functioning joint .

3 years on I have learnt that this was totally unrealistic .

Only get the optimal result thru your own post operation efforts .

So persist with the bike and go to the pool if that gets you a result

Regards

PETE

• Posted

I'm afraid that is a misconception that a lot of people have....myself included. My own doctor is surprised that I have healed as well as I have which is not that great as far as I am concerned.

I have good range of motion, but not without pain.

I've found out the hard way that you have to keep moving.

• Posted

great great great.😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊 I am 20 months. there's a slight bulge but no problem...I think it may be scar tissue but really I couldn't care less as I can walk as much as I need to. no pain, maybe occasional ache if i have walked for miles and been standing a lot..but other knee is moaning more than my bionic one if i overdo things. my whole leg is mega strong and I really notice the difference in my whole body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.