TKR Revision

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm not happy about having to have another knee surgery but the doctor claims that it should work out. My only concern is the stiffness. I was very stiff before the first surgery and I having been dealing with stiffness after surgery. I was wondering if I will still have to deal with stiffness after my upcoming revision surgery? I can tolerate the pain but it's the stiffness that gives me the blues. I probably have 106 rom on a good day, but I have around 90 regularly. I'm praying that the VA get it right this time.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different in their own process of recovery but the cone thing that's been consistent with me in all 5 of the surgeries that involved opening the knee completly, the swelling and stiffness. To some degree all 11 surgeries brought on some of that and one of the factors, I manufacture scar tissue like some people build blood. I've yet to find a way to reduce that undesirable side effect. Even abdominal surgery has had that problem. Dr's tell me to move as much and as quickly as possible post surgery and still I cant avoid it. Good luck and talk to your surgeon and physical therapist as far in advance as possible to see if they can do anything for you.

• Posted

I had tkr over 2  years ago, before surgery I had a45degree bend , my surgeon did not recomend physio till I was 7 weeks, so I did as I was told, he was the expert.

I started physio at 45 degree bend, physio could not believe he had made me wait so long, all he told me to do was flex my foot up & down.

my degree of bend at best is 107, the reason for this I found out from another surgeon. The first surgeon had not put in my replacement central, he had overhung it on the outer side of my knee, this surgeon has told me, I would not ever have got any more bend , I was at the limit, due to the other surgeons bad work, but he said the knee is stable & has advised me against having revision surgery as he cannot guarantee me 120 degree even, but he would have to put in a smaller knee & now he'd have to remove the cruciate ligament , plus all the other rods etc.

Anyway, I have decided to wait & see what happens.

The surgeon who did the op is not interested in the least 

I still faithfully do my exercises , if not every day, I do them every other.I do 20 mins on my bike & 10 mins on my rower, this helps the stiff feeling.

Anyway good luck with what you decide to do, but keep us informed on what if you decide to have the revision. 

• Posted

Thanks. I'm having the surgery on January 31st 2017.

• Posted

Hi Phil,

I meant to put, I had 145 degree bend before the TKR, I think it reads 45

• Posted

I had a tkr on Jan 11 and a revision and manipulation 19 days ago. Prior to the revision, i had a lot of stiffness and pain. I also could only get 90 degree bend and was at -10 extension. Now, the stiffness is gone and only have surgery pain. My extension is -3 and my bend is 95. I also feel better because the surgeon said I had a sensitivity to the metal and he placed a ceramic knee. That's what was causing stiffness and pain. Anyway, I'm glad I did it.

• Posted

I'm having the surgery because I have ligaments that were loose before the tkr and he tried to repair them which he said he did. My ligaments didn't tighten up like the doctor expected, causing the plastic wedge to come loose. This is what's causing the pain I'm dealing with. The surgeon is going to re-repair the ligaments and insert a thicker piece of plastic. He said that this procedure normally works, so y'all be praying for me.

• Posted

I just had a revision less that 30 days ago, you still have some stiffness that can not be avoided, please do everything the doctor tells you, mine got infected but thank God it is better now. The scar is much longer because on mine they had to put reenforcements in like rod in tibia and one in the femor.  I am already walking with a cain and had to stop PT because of infection but going back next week. Just try and keep your mind occupied as in reading or crafts.  Good Luck you you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    • Posted

I went back to work at 4 weeks post op on my initial tkr so I'm pretty sure that had something to do with me having to get a revision. I own and operate a professional handyman business. I would be up on my leg too much too long. I panicked and didn't wait for my disability payments to start. I get it now so I can take it easy and heal properly.

• Posted

Hi Phil, best of luck to u.  I had Tkr in March 2016.  Now waiting on a mri to find out why I have lower back neck n shoulder pain. My inner thigh n sometimes the back of thigh r very painful. I've had both hips replaced n lower back fusion years ago. Surgeon getting a pic of lower back fusion. Have to start somewhere??? Knee still hurts n stiff.  I'm hoping maybe just si joint, I don't know anymore. I wish u well n pray for good results for u.  This is some tough surgery, hang in there, good health in the new year, k p

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.