TKR Right knee 8 weeks out

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my TKR almost eight weeks ago, discharged from PT a week ago with ROM 127 and full extension.  Still have trouble coming downstairs.  My main problem now though is that my other knee blew out and is creating pain.  I don't want a TKR until my new knee is significantly better but it is almost impossible to walk or bike for PT on my own and I don't want to slow my new knees recovery.  Help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm 2+ years post-op and have read over 4,000 posts on here.  A few tips...

- Two months is still very early in your recovery.  Typically, it takes 2-3 months just to get your 0 / +120 ROM back by breaking down all that scar tissue.  You beat that with GREAT ROM so you can now move on...

- Now you need to spend quite a few months rebuilding your atrophied quads, glutes and core to support the new knee.  You need to take all the pressure off the joint and put it back on the musculature where it belongs.  Here;'s the program...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

This is a must do...period.  With the strength back in your muscles, you will walk correctly again, regain your balance and be able to do stairs...the latter requires the muscle rebuild.

- As you get stronger, you will have more success with stairs.  Here's the plan for mastering stairs...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

By 14 months, I was climbing stairs two at a time.  Gotta build all those muscles back to do it.

- Finally, if you need a second TKR, I'd suggest that you have ALL your strength back in #1 or else you literally won't have a leg to stand on.  Do everything possible to relieve the pain in the other knee (cortisone, SynVisc, cane, crutches, etc.) while you rebuild #1. 

I have read thousands and thousands of posts...gotta get your strength back in #1 to do #2...else it's a long, hard road.  Click my name and the "See All Discussions"...lots more out there...

• Posted

Thanks a million for your quick and very informative response!  Will try to do all you say!
    • Posted

I still have #2 to do but I'm delaying it as long as possible.  You really, really want to be strong to go through #2.  It takes time, work and patience.  Do whatever you have to do to gain that strength back and relieve as much pain as possible in #2 while you're doing it.  Take each day individually...don't get stressed.  Deep breath...handle it...you already know you can...

• Posted

Bless you.  Let's please keep in touch.  I'm going to buy an exercise bike tomorrow.  Any recommendations?

• Posted

The bike is great for ROM and to help with endurance but you also need the strength exercises to rebuild the muscles.  If no gym, then a set of fitness bands will work.  Plenty of YouTube videos on how to use them to strengthen quads, glutes and core...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.