TKR Scar in the sun

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

im going for my second TKR in 5 weeks but i am also going to Turkey around 10 weeks after that for a holiday.

what precautions should i take in the heat and what is best advice to look after new scar in the sun?

it may be very hot

thanks 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi i went to Cyprus last summer following tkr. Keep the scar protected from the sun! I wrapped a sarong around the knee. Keep it well moisturised!

• Posted

I went to the sun 3 months post TKR. Surgeon recommended I use Factor 50 on the scar. Had no problems on hols.

• Posted

Our hospital advises no flying for 3 months. I'd wear your TED stockings on the flight, get up and move every 30-45 mins and take some instant ice packs. The others have covered the scar area. You might find your leg swells more in the heat so plenty of rest, ice and elevation. i hope the surgery goes well and you,enjoy your holiday.

• Posted

I'm due my 2nd tkr in 2 weeks been to see nurse re pre op stressed Not to fly for 12 weeks and f50 sun cream for scar. Hope this helps x

• Posted

its actually 11 and half weeks so should be ok i think

thanks

• Posted

I understand that you should not fly until 12 weeks after surgery.

• Posted

I understand that you should not fly until 12 weeks after surgery.

• Posted

I wouldnt worry too much , I live in tropics and my scar was fine , better take plenty of pain killers and ice packs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.