TKR scar tissue

Posted , 8 users are following.

It's just about eight weeks since my total knee replacement. I still don't sleep very well at night though it is better. My problem is the scar tissue I can bend my knee to chest about 95° which I think is pretty good since the nerve block put me a week behind as i could not do the exercises well.  I go to pool therapy twice a week which hurts like crazy but is working. I use my recumbent 10 minutes a day twice a day. Just started making it around. Every time I start out a day I feel like I'm starting all over again with scar tissue. If I watch a movie and get up  it's like starting all over again. Ripping tearing stretching it all hurts but I guess we have to keep doing it when will this end?  I don't want to have the  manipulation where they put you asleep in bend your knee!!!  I'm not even 60 thought I'd have more energy to do these exercises more strength or stamina and better pain tolerance but I've seen people older than me doing better than me. Very frustrating! 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jessica,

Try not to despair! Everyone is different! 

I am 10 months post LTKR and I too experienced the scar tissue. It didn't last long, but it was unnerving at the time.

I used coconut oil on my knee and massaged it daily. It helped reduce sensitivity and it helped the external scar. I think the more movement early on the less scar tissue. It also helped me feel more comfortable touching and bumping my knee. Take care and be kind to yourself!

• Posted

Thanks Tammy!!! I just started the massaging and it does seem to help!!!! ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.