TKR Still on strong pain relief at almost 7 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,I've had TKR some days I feel on top of the world and in no pain , have good movement even though knee clicks loads ...so I come off tramadol and just use paracetamol....bad move as in pain again !! Is it normal at this stage to be constantly on strong pain meds ? I feel I need to be on them certainly to be able to do the excersises...I'm still using one crutch when walking outside as when I don't I get tired quite quickly and start limping which I want to avoid

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Penny

I am 7 weeks tomorrow, I am still on pain killers, I would not be able to do half the things I am doing without painkillers.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi pennypops.

Everyone is different when it comes to recovery and pain.

I am almost 6 months post tkr and still on pain meds. I had 2 previous surgerys before the tkr so my knee was still swollen and painful going in. Therefore it will take me longer to recover.

Take the meds as long as you need them. There is no reason to be in pain if you dont have to. And its far easier doing pt when you are not in pain.

• Posted

Tramadol is not a strong pain med...very mild opioid....one step above plain OTC painkillers.  Stay on the Tramadol for a while if you need it.  Clicking?  Get used to it.  Could take 12-18 months to resolve or never completely go away.
  • Posted

Hi, I’m also 7 weeks, using 1 crutch outside and now just back on paracetamol & codeine and diclofenac (for my arthritis). Some days good, some bad but coping on them.  But everyone is different so if you need the tramadol then hopefully the doctor will still prescribe it for you. Best Wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.