TKR - the MUA - but the drugs which stop the pain send me to sleep?

Posted , 2 users are following.

When I was recovering from my TKR my doctor changed my tablets to Dihydrocodeine - these put me to sleep for approx 16 out of 24hrs.  I lost my knee bend and was put forward for an MUA which happening Mon 23/5  (7 wks TKR post op) .   Before leaving hospital I was told I would be having intensive PT and yesterday had hydrotherapy before leaving hospital which gave me amazing results.   I have been changed to Tramadol and paracetamol.   I have taken 3 doses x Tramadol in the last 16hrs.   I have not taken my 4.30pm dose because like the other drug this is knocking me out!   I did my exercises this morning and had to go to bed after my 12.30 dose my head was so heavy.  I slept till 3.30pm, shook myself awake and came downstairs, only to fall asleep on the floor while exercising until 5.30pm!.  I cannot bend my knee onto the stair to do the lunges without the painkillers

Has anyone else experienced this intolerance to the drugs which will enable me to do my exercises?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi , sorry to hear you are struggling , when you had the manipulation did you have a spinal or GA ? How would you rate the pain after ? I also think I will need one as I was in a splint for 8 days after having a heamatoma removed from the 1st op after 2 weeks so feel I have lost 3 weeks recovery ,
    • Posted

Morning Bernie - I hope today sees you well.

When I had the MUA I had a general anaesthetic and a spinal block.   The pain after was no worse than before - in comparison to some on here I don't think I have suffered too much pain. 

Regarding the drugs I have spoken to my own dr who has agreed that I am over sensitive to the drugs prescribed.   I am now trying a 4th combination which I started last night which does not send me into a coma!.

If you need an MUA go for it.   BUT getting better movement is reliant on immediate Physio as with the TKR.   I still have a very poor bend on my knee and will start next week with a private Physio.  I am reading about massage, scar build up and exercise and trying to do them.   as my consultant said I heal too quickly and too well and that combined with an intolerance to the pain relief is hindering my recovery.

• Posted

Many thanks for your prompt reply , as I mentioned for 2 weeks I had a bleed under my pattella that was bleeding for 2 weeks and had to go through A/E then back to theater and have it reopened and a new spacer replaced and the pain from the heamatoma was the worst pain I have ever had in my life !!!! So very concerned about the pain , thank you again :-)
    • Posted

Hi Bernie

Sorry I haven't replied earlier have been a bit down, but back on form now!

The MUA was done under a GA and a spinal block.

The pain was manageable - I was prescribed 4 x 2 paracetamol and tramadol x 3.   I stopped taking the Tramadol after 2 days at home and rang my own dr.   I now take 2 x Naproxen with paracetamol and last thing 1 x Tramadol.   I have been to Physio today and although I ache I am not in pain - but ask me again tomorrow if I sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.