Tkr today

Posted , 6 users are following.

no doubt I will feel I have been kicked tomorrow, but I'm a nurse and when I had my hip replacement 2 years ago I went back to work after 3 months and was in so much pain and really suffered.. I am hoping I am off for around 5-6 months is this feasible. I certainly don't want to be running around a ward 4 months post op 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I’m in an Office Ruth and have gone back really early (4wks post op); however I have raised toilet seat at work; stool and foot rest. I’m still shattered when I come home each day and sleep for 2 hours and this is on phased return 5 hrs a day. I’m bk full time next week (6wks) and to be honest dreading it. I know I wouldn’t cope in a job like yours on my feet all day.  From what I’ve heArd from others TKR is longer recovery so realistically I would think your recovery would be longer. Good luck 
    • Posted

Thankyou so much take care and you must think of yourself and don't be bullied! You have had a major operation!!

• Posted

Thank you Ruth; not being bullied I had to go back sadly due to financial reasons.
  • Posted

I absolutely agree with you Ruth! You don't even want to consider going back until 6 months po. Esp in your job! 

You know TKR is a harder recovery than hip replacement, take as long as you need, the knee is in charge it'll let you know when it's ready!!

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

I'm a nurse too but have a talking role,, education,,,, I'm hoping to be back by week 9 but I will see how I am,,,, my work and particularly my manager incredibly supportive..I know in v lucky,,, I can't stay upright more than a few hrs now,,but I'm only day 18 today...

• Posted

When I had my hip replacement I was on a teaching secondment and went back after 3 months I really suffered with the pain! Went Back to early 
    • Posted

If things are adapted for you it may be ok part time...but it is the tiredness I found hard. And putting the exercises and rehab first is vital. I did some work but it was office type and my desk and chair were my bed! 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.