Tkr today

Posted , 6 users are following.

no doubt I will feel I have been kicked tomorrow, but I'm a nurse and when I had my hip replacement 2 years ago I went back to work after 3 months and was in so much pain and really suffered.. I am hoping I am off for around 5-6 months is this feasible. I certainly don't want to be running around a ward 4 months post op 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

6 months off sounds good to me! New knees can be torture if you need to stand for for long. Good luck lovee!
  • Posted

yes most definately its all wear n tear as u know. take ig easy i waiting for 5th tkr it neefs time
  • Posted

Hi Ruth I'm an intensive care nurse😃 I had a LTKR in September and I've only just gone back on a phased return. If you work for the NHS you get full pay for 6 months and then on to half pay. Occupational health assessed me and told me to start on 3x 4 hour shifts in the first week. My second day was awful, it was so busy with alarms going off left right and centre, I couldn't just sit there and ignore what was going on, so I ended up being on my feet for the full 4 hours. I suffered that night and the next day so please make sure you're ready before returning x

• Posted

Thankyou for putting my mind at ease I thought the GP may be bullying me into going back too early.. I'm nearly 60 and ready to retire but I'm not 21 anymore I don't have the stamina like I did so they can go jump till I'm ready and healed and thanks 

• Posted

I had 6 month off work with both of my tkrs . I think you will find knee replacement recovery is more severe than hip replacement. Plenty of physio and exercise , but don't over do it. Rest when you need to, ice and elevate. Do not try to force recovery, you won't be doing yourself any favours. Recovery is a journey not a race, it takes as long as it takes. After almost 20 years since my left tkr and 18 for the right I am still pain free, and everything seems to be ok. I hope they will last as long as I do.

• Posted

I had a hip replacement 2 1/2 years ago and forget at times I have had it done. I only took 3 months off and struggled so much when I went back.. not doing that this time

thanks for your reply 

• Posted

Take the full 6 months,your health and well being are more important and remember your just a number to your employer and you need to do what is best for you my dear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.