TKR, Toilet every two hours, no anti inflammatories

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 19 days post op TKR.  I've been tested twice for UTI, do not have one yet run to toilet every two hours and can not use anti inflammatorie to fill in the pain med gaps.  Does anyone else have the same issues and are you getting anyone to help you?  Getting up every two hours is exhausting and the gaps without pain meds are also exhausting.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

First, see if you can use a TOPICAL anti-inflammatory.  The second-best on the planet is Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Use multiple times a day; great at bedtime.

Second, has the urinary problem occurred only AFTER the TKR and not before?  Either way, anticholinergic (bladder control) drugs can help.  Ask your urologist for one that would meet your needs and not interact with anything else you're taking

• Posted

Because I've had arthritis since I was 25, Voltaren Gel has been tried on me.  I am seriously allergic to it.  I do appreciate the advice though because I know it does help many people.  

• Posted

The oxycodone after surgery made be incontinent. Once I went to something different I was fine! Good luck!
    • Posted

Leisel,  Thanks for the reply.  I live in the U.K.  I'll be phoning NHS 24 today and talk to them about my meds.  I need help! 

• Posted

Sometimes the irritation from the catheter can last for a while. It isn't an infection but an irritation. Many people have found cranberry juice to be very helpful.

• Posted

I had exactly the same and it gradually stopped. I would say it took about 6 weeks. I was really worried but I promise it did stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.