Tkr week 3

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m doing ok but painostly at night suggestions?  Also I have pain down the outside from thigh to calf is this normal suggestion??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had pain at night too. Use a pillow between your legs to sleep.  I had achy pain from my knee down to my ankle. I used pain rubs and made sure to keep taking pain meds regularly.  I would ice often too. Hope it helps 
    • Posted

Jackierae

I am 9 weeks post my second tkr my right was done 25th may . Pain of different types and intensity will come and go .. It can be a roller coaster recovery my tips are to get some sleep .. Take your meds about an hour before bed get a nice plump memory foam pillow or u may need 2 ..try and sleep on your back for now anyway . get the pillows so they elevate your leg above your hip rest your leg onto pillows ad they are memory they give good positive support where its needed. If the pain is bad use my icing tenique and try and relax .. It'd a rough ride but not forever

• Posted

Morning 

I feel your pain and still do it drives you mad but the advice you have been given is true 

Pure ginger  essential oil also works but it does smell good luck stay strong xx

• Posted

All normal.  Try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere).  GREAT topical pain reliever and anti-inflammatory.  Use it a few times a day plus at bedtime.  Keep it away from your scar until fully healed.

You primary goal, "Kneebie", is to get your ROM back.  PT weeks 3 through 12...0 straight / +120 flexion.  After that comes six months of rebuilding your dead quads, glutes and core so you can walk correctly, regain your balance and do stairs again.  The whole recovery takes a year...count on it...own it.  Your tools are time, work and patience.

• Posted

Lorri,

Nights were painful for quite a while.  I used pillows for more comfortable positions.  It took almost 3 months post  op for me to finally get a good nights sleep.  The pain you're having I also had.  It was my IT band.  Did some stretches for it that my physical therapist gave me and after a few weeks it finally subsided.  Wishing you the very best.  Hang in there - it does get better.

Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.