TKR will I be able to swim breast stroke

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm now past 10 weeks op ..I can only swim breast stroke and I have been told my my physiotherapist that I can go swimming if I want ...I'm nervous about my knee ... anybody else been swimming and can the knee cope with that movement? I miss swimming and would love to get some lengths in

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i have been advised not to attempt breast stroke by both my consultant and physio, it will put too much pressure on your joint at this early stage.  

Also have you worked out how you are going to get in and out of pool.  If it’s via a ladder , you may struggle to get in and especially when you get out.  

I love swiming howver doing doing a lot of floating and walking up and down pool but it’s great for exercises we have to do 

• Posted

That's what is putting me off going swimming, the thought of getting in and not being able to get up the steps to get out again

• Posted

Louise 48509, I hate to see a ladder prevent you from using a pool. I use my good leg and knee to come up the steps and arm strength. The bad knee basically dId not even enter the equation until I could bend it enough to get it on an upper step and then I stood on it while I stepped on the pool deck. I hope that made sense...
    • Posted

I have arthritis in my other knee too though. I'm getting that one done next year. I am dying to go swimming though, I might go along and try

• Posted

Hi Pennypops! I swim too but more free and butterfly style. I found I had to adjust my kick a lot in the beast stroke to a more one sided correct form on my non operated knee. I just don't have the ability to bend my replaced knee enough yet to do the proper kick. I think it will improve in time. If you aren't competing, then your form really shouldn't matter. Do the best you can and get back to what you love is my advice. For me, it's riding horses first (I got back up in a saddle at 9 weeks) everything else after. It really had a positive impact on my mental outlook over the entire recovery process, which takes up to a year!

• Posted

Oh thankyou ...I think I will give it a go as I find swimming relaxes me
    • Posted

I too was advised not to do breast stroke, even before I had TKR - it puts a horrible twist on the knee. Breast stroke was always my preferred stroke but I learned to do front crawl which is much better for the knees. Sometimes I just do breast stroke arms and let my legs float behind (or get a pull buoy float) I’m just 9 weeks and been swimming from soon as the scar healed. It’s been my saviour. Only place my knee feels vaguely normal! Go do it....  
  • Posted

The happiest day post of for me post op will be the day I can swim again!, i swim 3 times a week and do aqua aerobics (hopping on one leg)....im v lucky that my pool has accessible walk in steps so getting in/ out is no issue ....breast stroke a no for anyone with knee probs but its not good generally for neck and back,,,,, you could do the arms with a straight leg kick? . I feel swimming has saved me from having further joint problems with my arthritis over the tears ,,enjoy ur dip
  • Posted

There had been some talk about this on the Forum about a year ago.  Not a great search engine here so I can't seem to find the discussion.  However, if I recall...

Swimming is GREAT for rehab but the breaststroke can put extra pressure on the knee early on so it would be best to avoid it at the beginning.  Golfers who have back fusions are forbidden to swing a club the first six months and then proceed gradually for the rest of the first year.  The same rule might apply.

Some docs say the breaststroke is off limits while others say approach it gradually.  I don't think that super-strenuous or competitive-level swimming would be OK.  But you have another option.

Research what the stress forces on the knee would be due to the breaststroke.  Hyperextension? Torquing?  Then call the donjoy company and get the number of a local rep.  This is the #1 brace maker on the planet.  Find out which brace will help avoid the banned movement.  Example:  I played hockey for 45 years and would LOVE to get on my skates again for non-competitive skating.  The fear is twisting the knee so they recommended the Defiance model which keeps the knee in a straight line.  There is probably a model that would lock your knee along one axis to prevent any damage while swimming that stroke.

Saw a video of a 20-something female surfer with her knee in a serious brace.  Looks like her knee injury didn't keep her from her favorite sport.  So research the bad forces you have to avoid and the call the brace maker to recommend the correct one for that type of swimming.  Worth a shot...I'm getting mine in the next few months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.