TKR without using a Tournuquet???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone ever hear of this? Talked to someone t a garage sale about my TKR and how I was into my 7th month of my knee being messed up. This guy tells me his wife just had a TKR 3 weeks ago and the surgeon used NO Tourniquet!!! Less bleeding, operation was only an hour. The wife come out into the garage , walks down 2 stairs no cane. Agrees with what he says. I don't want my surgeon touching me again. This sounds incredible. Any one have any info? In Chelsy , Mi USA

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I also think alot of the pain is from the use of tourniquet. i am 4 months post tkr and am in constant pain. Im not able to use stairs or get up from sitting without using my arms. It so much worse than anticipated.Im supposed to have the other knee done but will NOT.

• Posted

I don't blame you; I'm not having my other knee done either. I have never heard of the surgery being done without a tourniquet. that's interesting.....

I do have a friend who was allergic to the stuff the tourniquet was made from, and she had to have her thigh abrased every month for over two years. Big fat mess.

• Posted

I am not sure if my surgeon used a tourniquet or not, but at one week I was able to do stairs without any issues, so the fact that this person was doing two stairs with one knee doesn't surprise me as I had bilateral knee replacement and was walking without a walker or cane by week three. However, the tightness set in around week 8. I often wonder if the surgeon suggested that I walk without assistance too early, as I tightened my whole body in fear of tripping and falling, and then the tightness set in.

With two knees my surgery was two hours, most take three for bilateral. My recovery was amazing, except for the tightness, which is helped a lot with massage. Some days I feel like I am going to lose my mind, but as soon as I get a massage and she works on the muscles and draining the edema, I feel a lot better the next day and for several days after. I also bought a hand held massager that I use regularly to help when I am not able to see the masseuse.

• Posted

Deigh

What kind of massage do you get? Gentle, rough? Down your incision? Is is called something? The PT massaged me and it was great for about 2 hours then I tighten up again.

Is it at a medical center or regular massage person? Does your insurance cover it? Sorry so many questions. I am really interested. Thanks!

• Posted

I get a fairly gentle massage, but it takes more than one massage to loosen the muscles. A more aggressive massage seems to cause more pain initially, but works to relieve in a few days. The gentle massage helps within hours. The improvement lasts longer each time I go. I originally went twice a week for an hour, but am at one hour once per week with using a TENS machine and hand held massager at home. I am in Canada, so our medical system may be different than yours as far as paying, but I do not have coverage for this and paid out of pocket. Massage therapy is not covered under our health care here, but surgery and 8 weeks of PT is. It is worth every penny I paid because it really helps. The massage therapist also works on moving Edema from around my knees to help with inflammation. I was in so much pain from tightness and the muscles that I was distraught, but this has helped a lot. I wish I had started this sooner. Also found stretching the leg muscles helps as well. Can Google that, or have your PT recommend some stretches. I am still not free of tightness but definitely better than I was a month ago. I hope you find relief

• Posted

I wonder if they had the minimally invasive surgery? I've heard take of a surgeon in Southampton in the UK who does it privately, but it's not available on the NHS.

• Posted

When I spoke to a registrar on the phone last week about my pain he asked me about the extent of my bruising. I explained it was extensive from foot to hip and he said that was indicative of how much I'd bled out and if they hadn't used a tourniquet it would have been worse (mind you, he wasn't actually one of the surgeons who performed the op). I have also heard if the surgery being done without tourniquet. I also had a nerve block injected into my thigh, which isn't always used and I'm dubious about that too.

• Posted

I must have really bled. I was one massive bruise. I have pictures to prove it. When I asked the surgeon about it he said it was "Normal". That is their answer to everything.

The gal I spoke to said she had NO bruising.

• Posted

My mum had barely any bruising either. Perhaps either is 'normal' but I know which I'd rather have!

• Posted

I had no bruising at all and minimal swelling. I have no idea whether a tourniquet was used or not. I didn't have a nerve block into my leg. I had a spinal block with sedation for the surgery and a drain inserted that was taken out about 36 hours later and which I assume counted for the lack of bruising. It was brilliant. I've been horrified by some patients' bruising. I hope he uses tge same technique for the other leg when I decide to go ahead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.