TKR wounds very sensitive to touch and uncomfortable in bed at night

Posted , 7 users are following.

First TKR June 2017 and other knee op in March 2018- now 13 weeks with that knee. Making good progress ROM and pain decreasing but both wounds, although well healed ,are "twitchy". Sensitive to touch and "burning" when I go to bed. Been having to ice during the night to get some sleep. Waken every couple of hours and I'm tired !! Anybody have any suggestions?

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what to say...I am a mess ..I am having manipulation on 22nd as I don't have a bend only 76...the calf muscles and hamstrings ate so tight and painful. I guess because my brain taught my leg to walk like a gal.on stilts...I am so discouraged as well ..I thought going in I would be able to handle this...so down and know one understand s

• Posted

Aww Sandy! So sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I know just how you feel. I'm almost 2 n a half years post TKR and still having problems. But I'm told I am in the minority! Try  and stay positive. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. 

• Posted

I'm nearly 11 weeks post op. Night times are the worst. Foot and leg twitchy just can't seem to settle to let me sleep. Watched the clock till 05.15am still awake. Took 2 paracetamol resorted to 1 tramadol. By 4 am resorted to a sleeping pill. Did they work No. Wish I could be guaranteed a night sleep.

• Posted

Oh Anne. I hear you. Luckly I also take a sleeping pull with my trance so I do manage about a 4 hour sleep. Then wake try to get a better position and usually fall back asleep. This is so depressing hey I thought by now my new normal would be back...for me the bend isn't there so having a manipulation in 2 week's which has put me in a tail spin...54 years old and feeling old. .just want my simple life back. ...don't know if I can put myself thru the other knee that requires tkr...

• Posted

Hi maryedna oh for a good night sleep. My leg is twitchy and on edge nothing seems to help it. Never ever realised a tkr could be so painful. I've cancelled my my right knee not ready physically or mentally. Hoping all these exercises will maybe help it so no op will be necessary. Any ideas for sleep please please I'm desperate.

• Posted

i slept in my recliner for the first two months.  then went back to bed, but had to grease knee with rubs, and keep the sheet off of it, also took pain pills and an relaxer.  We NEED the sleep to heal.....
  • Posted

Sleep is elusive and comes with the territory when having a TKR. You sleep when you can, not when you think you should. I took a lot of naps. 13 weeks is still early in your recovery...it will take a good year or more to feel normal (whatever that is) The twitchy, sensitive to touch and burning are because the nerves along with tendons, muscle, ligaments, etc were all cut during surgery...think of it as if your leg were cut in two. The nerves are the last to heal and take a long time. Ice is your best friend still!!! and elevation!!!  If your staples/stitches are out and the incision healed, you should start massaging the area with Vitamin E oil, Bio oil, Palmers oil. Massaging the area will help the healing process and ease some of those sensations you're having. It won't feel great at first but keep at it. About 3X's a day for at least 10 minutes. Moving your knee cap up, down and from side to side will also help...the knee cap was meant to move or your knee couldn't bend. It doesn't move a lot, maybe a quarter inch or so, but it does help!!! I thought my PT was nuts when she told me and showed me what to do, but was surprised at what a difference it made.... I'm 3 years out from my TKR and am amazed I made it through and so will you....  I recently had surgery on my shoulder to have a torn rotator cuff repaired and would go through another TKR BEFORE having my shoulder done again!!!!  Good luck and remember it takes time and a lot of patience!!!

• Posted

I'm now 15 weeks just, and find that I can't have my knee in bed with me, so have it on top of the bed. I can only think that it's because everything is still knitting together.

Im also glad that we now have Summertime as I don't like anything touching my knee.

Apart from this everything going well, exercise, exercise and then more exercise.

I think I would rather go through child birth...........

• Posted

I know what you mean. I'm 11 weeks post op and what a miserable time it's been. No one prepares you for the pain or leg twitches. I lie with my leg on top of the duvet much more comfortable. I'm looking forward to being normal again, it is going to happen keep on believing. I too would go through childbirth again instead of this and I have 3 children 2 of which are twins. Maybe I'm a wimp I don't know but early days they sat the first year your knee owns you then you are the owner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.