TM

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am going to have cataract surgery,( Toric Symfony extended depth of Focus IOL...) in both eyes.....

I read that there is a lot of halos, side effects, horror stories etc...etc...

Is that true ? Can anyone share his or her recent experience with that kind of IOL...?

Recent experience if possible...

Thank you so much for sharing....

TM

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you search this forum, there are 2 or 3 threads with lots of great info on this subject.

I have mini-monovision with a Symfony toric in my non-dominant eye set for near-intermediate and a monofocal lens in my dominant eye set for best distance. This has worked out beautifully, mitigating the nighttime driving effects in the Symfony eye. Tho some people are happy with Symfony in both eyes, I'm very grateful I was able to do this combo. Wouldn't want Symfony in my dominant eye. Do your research & you'll know what's best for you.:) Best wishes for an awesome result!

• Posted

Everyone one's eye are different, and take a different time to adjust. I have one symfony in RE for 3 months, and have decided to use a monofocal set for distance in my LE due to e night vision problems. Some people have none or slight, others a lot. I suggest you implant the first eye, and wait at least 2 months to assess how your night vision will do. The first few weeks will be a lot of glare, halos, etc. for any IOL. It will gradually subside after a few weeks, or months. Then you can decide how to proceed with the 2nd eye.

• Posted

I am having the first eye next week and the 2nd 4 weeks later... i think i will postpone the surgery and think more...

Thanks

• Posted

i would definitely not even schedule the second eye until you see how the first eye goes. i'm 9 weeks out and just now feel like my cataract surgery eye is beginning to stabilize. the eye takes time to heal. do not rush anything. this is not an emergency and you really only get one shot to get it right without adding more risk.

• Posted

I had both eyes done in December. It took some getting use to, but its ok now

• Posted

was your problem with night driving...? and are you astigmatic..?

Thanks.....

• Posted

Night driving was weird with all those halos. I try to not look directly at the lights. I am not astigmatic.

• Posted

I had Symfony lenses implanted 18 months ago - both eyes. My daytime vision is good. I see well at all distances. Was told near vision to expect 18 inches but I ended up better than that. see well from 11 inches to distance. No drop off between focal points.

Trade-off is definitely night vision. I see multiple concentric circles around some light sources; ref traffic lights, car brakes (when applied) they look normal if driving behind a car at night. Some LED porch lights. Circles appear when at a certain distance and disappear as I get nearer the light source.

Will say along with that first several months there was a lot more glare/starbursts but that calmed down considerably. Co centric circles are less vibrant and although odd I have adapted and do drive without thinking about it anymore. If you do a lot of night driving I would give more thought to getting Symfony. These might not be lenses if you drive a truck at night or are a pilot.

I assume you are having cataract surgery due to cataracts that affect your vision to point where it cannot be corrected with contact lenses or glasses to better than 20/40. If not consider waiting to research this well as there are definite compromises to make. Some doctors even proposing this to correct near vision. Don't trade your natural lens to eliminate glasses. This is not an exact science. No surgeon can guarantee that.

Also if proceeding allow ample time between surgeries for first eye to heal. Healing takes 6 weeks if all goes well and if adjustments need to be made to compensate for 1st eye if target not achieved that can be done for 2nd eye.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you very much for this info...i cannot get 20/20 anymore with my glasses; that is the main problem and beginning of cataracts... i am 65, i guess i can wait a little...

Thanks...

• Posted

Hi Thierry99709

Funny thing is age doesn't always tell the story. I developed cataracts rapidly and at 53 had to have the surgeries - both eyes. Optometrist couldn't correct vision anymore better than 20/60 RE snd 30/50 LE. Could only read big E on top if eye chart (with glasses on). I am Canadian so this surgery is covered under medicare if vision doesn't correct to 20/40 or better (benchmark for passing driver's lic vision test. Without the surgery my license would have been suspended. Both my parents are in their late 70s and still haven't needed the surgery - although mom's last visit was told her lens was cloudy and she has trouble with lights at night (rainbow halos around them). But her optometrist can still correct her to 20/25. So no need for the moment.

Waiting allows more time for a better lens to come on the market and to do research. Symfony is a good lens for someone not needing perfect night vision. It excels at the intermediate to distance range. You may get near vision too or need readers. Many factors involved so that can't be guaranteed. Research clinic and doctors as not all are ethical. Particularly where this surgery isn't covered. My own surgeon is on of two best in my city bit our hospitals (where our cataract surgeries must be carried out) dies not have last in ORA equipment (small province) but my vision turned out well. I only had to pay difference between monofocal and synfiny lens ($900 per lens) and that fee i paid to the hospital few days ahead of surgery. Surgeon got paid same amount no matter what lens I chose. Downside in canada - long wait times for procedures.

Do your homework to find out all you can - good thing about cataracts - they aren't urgent. Much harder to extract and exchange lens so you'll want to look as much as you can. Many on these forums are very helpful and supportive. None of us our professionals but are happy to share what we've experienced and learned along the way.

Best wishes to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.