TMI...diarrhoea after gallbladder

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I know it is a bit too much infomation, But after having my gallbladder out 5 days I have had diarrhoea which is really smelly is this normal?

I phoned my surgeon he said diarrhoea has nothing to do with gallbladder removal.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Eating foods with fat in after having gall bladder removed can and often does cause diarrhoea.
    • Posted

Thank you, I have not eaten anythng which as loads of fat in.

Mainly crumpets and rich tea bisuits.

• Posted

Some say gluten is bad... I found dairy to give problems, just use oat milk now
  • Posted

Hi

3 years after having gallbladder removed I had terrible diarrhoea and smelly. I've finally been diagnosed with sphincter of oddi type 2.

Please read about this as unfortunately it develops sometimes after gallbladder removal. Hope this helps

• Posted

Sorry that this has happened. You're not giving us too much information!  smile The surgeon's not correct.  Having gastric problems does happen after gallbladder surgery. The gastric upset might be a result of your body cleaning itself out after the trauma of surgery.

I understand that you've been eating low fat, and that's good. The crumpets might not have any fat, but the biscuits might.  Try to stick to low, healthy fat.  You could use grass fed butter, for instance.  You might find that dairy upsets your stomach for a while.   Keep to very small frequent meals, such as white rice with chicken. You could try eating FODMAP foods.  A list of these is available on line. 

Before surgery, your gallbladder acted as a storage device for the bile, and measured it out into your small intestine during digestion.  Now, that mechanism isn't available to it, so your body has to learn to utilize the bile that's coming directly from your liver.  It does take a while for the body to settle.

Please don't lose hope!  Don't try ox bile or digestive enzymes.  It could be that your body is dealing with more than enough bile right now.  

Best of luck to you!  Let me know how you get on!         

• Posted

From what I've read I thought diarrhoea was quite normal after gallbladder removal because your body is getting used to not having anywhere to store the bike anymore. I was told high fat foods and dairy can cause it until your body gets used to things.

We had our surgery on the same day, how have you been apart from the diarrhoea?

When you have crumpets do you have butter on them? That's high fat?

I've been the opposite, have a bubbly tummy but struggling to go without taking laxatives.

• Posted

From my research its perfectly normal, also the liver Dr and a lot of other Liver and gallbladder resources say probiotics, digestive enzymes and bile salts are essetial with a malfunctioning gallbladder and after removal, I have already bought mine, expecially after its removed, so many say these have helped. Good luck smile

• Posted

HI, Star

I just read your post. After you have your surgery, I suggest you try to let your digestive system settle for a while, before you try enzymes or bile salts. Probiotics should be fine.

Some people, like me, find they have too much bile after surgery, so if you try to supplement with bile immediately you could make yourself ill.  You'll know if you have too much bile, because you'll get diarreha.  Same thing for digestive enzymes.

People with insufficient bile usually get constipated.   

It may be that once your body settles you won't need to supplement with anything. smile

I wish you all the best! xx  

• Posted

Thank you will do smile I have been on this forum and another and I am literally terrified of not having surgery and terrified of having surgery with all the things that can happen, with either option. I am literally terrified.

• Posted

I already get heaps of upset tummy with food, thats how IBS was originally diagnosed, thought I was allergic to nuts at first until it increased with more and more foods and then to several times a day! however with the limited diet I am now on, its the opposite most of the time and I struggle too go,  with only odd occasions I have to run!
  • Posted

also crumpets contain gluten and biscuits are not healthy, try a good healthy diet such as GAPS or low fodmaps smile Avoid gluten, dairy and unhealthy fats.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.