TMJ agony please help.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have tmj, when i cant sleep i cant stop yawnig, my jaw locks, more i yawn then my head hurts, then my shoulders.

I then kinda seize up, go rigid for about 5 seconds, cant even speak. The pain is so bad

Went to the doctor, they didnt have a clue, please tell me someone else has this happen, i am so scared.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi scottish blue, 

This sounds awful, When you say you seize up- is this you whole body? or just your jaw and facial muscles? If its your whole body I would recommend going back to your docter.

Its a shame your doctor hasnt helped. Recently I have found a few dentists who studied with the British Society of Occulsion Studies (BSOS) who know all about the jaw, bone, teeth and facial muscles. There are a few around the country. Check this link to their website and maybe you can find one near you.

What helped me alot it doing relaxing exercises of the neck and face. Massaging the area that hurts, slowing rolling back my shoulders and making sure im not clenching you teeth or jaw at any time. Its a long and on going process, and sometimes it hurts more after relaxing that it did before, especially the headaches, but you can feel in the different type of pain that its getting better. Sometimes it would make me feel sick - but make sure your drinking plenty of water, this will help your muscles to relax.

Im really sorry you are feeling so bad, I know how debilitating and scary it can be - But when I spoke on the phone to a dentist who might treat me she reassured me that this is actually quite a common problem.

Follow this link and I hope you can find someone who can help: 

All the best smile

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Oh, and also.. Don't chew gum! If you need to to get a taste from your mouth, just chew for 5 minutes and spit it out. And dont purposfully open your mouth to make your jaw crack. I did this, and now my jaw is making more of a crunching sound - I probably did more damage - waiting to find out.

All the best,

Rosie

• Posted

I cant chew gum, the dog is terrified of it lol

i learned my lesson about trying to crack my jaw, it really really hurts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.