TMJ+daily headache etc

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello

i just wanted to let rip about how p****d off i am that i have TMJ pain on top of daily headache plus backache and shoulder pain. i am also exhausted due to sleeping badly due to Menopause.

so i dont know how which community this post should be in. i saw an osteopath because my old achilles injury was playing up and she also did some cranial work to help my ongoing above problems. That seemed to set off chest tightness and breathlessness again, a side effect i got after being given propanalol for the daily headache. so i came off it given setraline ( gave me ongoing tinnitus and pulsing blood in my right ear) to help with stress for all 3. horrendous side effects came off. went back to osteo, it set off headache but helped a little with breathing . went back to osteo in desperation. headache went off and then all 3 came back. tried acupuncture for tmj set off tinnitus(i also get but b12 helped) and headache. tried moist heat, stretching stay off sugar, relaxation, self hypnosis. i trust the osteopath having seen her and been helped over several years.

anyone any suggestions. oh i am seeing a counselor but dont know shes helping enough.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My wife had acupuncture for TMJ. The first session in her cheek helped but the next one higher up caused her vertigo and she felt light headed and unwell on the journey home. The vertigo was worse the next morning and she sat on the edge of her bed for it to clear. Going down the hall to the toilet everything started to spin round again and without anything to grab hold of she fell backwards. She has osteoporosis and cracked two ribs and fractured a vertebrae.

Medication for osteoporosis can cause TMJ but she was assured that only for one in a thousand.

• Posted

i am so sorry your wife had such a bar experience, my mother had vertigo so i understand how bad it can be. thanks for your reply

• Posted

Seems like you may have temporomandibular disorder.

I would suggest to look at the symptoms separately. For

instance, your jaw pain may be the result of teeth grinding

at night.

Rather than fork out money to a dentist, when I had similar symptoms,

of jaw pain and not the other issues you raised, and I went to a chemist and

bought a plastic mouthguard to wear while I slept.

Granted it is hard to get used to sleeping with this, but:

1. It was a cheap first option; and
    2. After some time I got used to it (I would take it out half way through the night

as it was uncomfortable, but then 3 -4 hrs of weasling it is still not bad);

3. Once the teeth grinding stopped, the jaw pain stopped.

I never agreed to my dentist's recommendation of tailor making me a splint.

• Posted

Hello Claire !

im 49 and i have a molar the top left that hurts i had a crown done 2 dentist 2 endodontis saw me did 2 root canals and check for fractures nothing . i do have a mouth guard but i have a hard tome wearing it. so it seems it hurts when i get my period but i think i grind my teeth but it seems is that particular tooth . it is annoying .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.