TMJ Disfunction

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am intersted to hear from others who have had TMJ Disfunction.

I have had this for quite a while now and although I am having consultations with my Dr, and I have tried all the self help measures, I am interested to hear from others who have experienced this condition please

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am suffering with this right now & have been since October. The pain is ridiculous!! 

I have tried all self help measures but nothing is working.  I saw a maxillafacial dr last wk cos I have a ulcer as well as this that hasn’t gone away so hopefully he’ll have some answers! Eating right now makes me feel sick 😞

• Posted

Hi,

I know its aweful!  I have been given Valium to try and sleep better at least.  Now the dr said I need a scan to see whats going on.

He thinks I grind my teeth when a sleep but I always sleep with mouth open so I dont know how this is occuring.

I will see the dentist after I have had a scan if nothing shows up.

Good luck with your tests and let me know how you get on please.

Have you got any painkillers or any meds to take?

Take care and best wishes

• Posted

I was wearing a mouth guard until recently but that made my lip ulcer worse so stopped wearing it. I have Crohn’s disease so am on a multitude of pain killers but still hurts like hell! Will keep you informed x 
    • Posted

Its bad enough just the TMJ syndrome but ulcer and crohns as well, I feel for you!

I also get Hemiplegic migraines and cluster headaches so I take many meds as well.

But when I read a post like yours it makes me realise how lucky I am.

Yes please keep in touch and hope you find some relief soon.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you. I’ve ended up having to have a biopsy on my lip and tongue today to check for oral cancer. I think it’s all Crohn’s related but best to be sure. I hope you’re getting some relief?  And the tmj & migraines may all be interconnected. I know my migraines & head aches have got worse since this all started sad 

• Posted

I've had it for eight months now along with headaches four cortisone shots and my left side has calmed down but my right side is flaring up so back to the Dentist my intern Doctort said there's nothing else he can do he referred me to a neralogist seems like there's no end hope everyone else is having better luck

• Posted

I wore a mouth guard while i slept and that kept the jaw pain away for months as i would wear it every night. just recently lost it and it has come back as a constant ache in my whiole right side of my jaw and makes my teeth hurt too. i would say really try to find a mouth guard as thats the only thing that had taken away the jaw pain
    • Posted

Hi Amber

Thanks for your comments.

I didnt see the dentist yet as I have always breathed through my mouth at night, so dont accept that I grind my teeth at night.  However I will see my dentist about this during my next checkup.

I had an xray of my jaw and it showed that my jaw is not aligned properly but not dislocated, as it was feared.  I am currently taking muscle relaxant tablets as my dr thinks its a muscle spasm.

So we will see.

Thanks again for your reply Amber.

Hope your TMJ soon goes and you are pain free.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.