TMJ Disorder

Posted , 2 users are following.

Two years ago i developed TMJ Disorder. It is awful and my chiropractor couldn't resolve the problem. My jaw popped out as soon as he popped it in place.

I noticed that my jaw hung down when I slept on either side, my bite was uneven and I bit the inside of my mouth when a nerve was pinched. My TM Disorder seems to be permanent as I think the TM is torn.

When I put my hand under my jaw, my bite came back together, so I made a pillow out of a cotton blanket. I rolled it up to a two foot long and 5 inch diameter and used rubber bands to hold it together. I used that pillow for six months before I found a camping pillow at the sports store. This is the trick, however. I left the pillow in the carry case as it was about the same size as my blanket pillow. It works perfect.  cost $5.00

Back to my first pillow. Not only did the pillow stop the terrible pain in my jaw, biting myself was really narrowed down. Over a short time, i noticed that the popping stopped by 95%. If I yawn wide it will pop or if I lay on my side without the pillow in place, it will pop.

I think a lot of problems I read about is reaction from pinching a nerve in the jaw.

Hope this helps someone.

Dennis

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also have TMJ and have problems when lying down. What you are saying about the pillow is interesting as I feel the height of my pillow is not quite right. I've been using a cushion under my arms to stop me rolling forward when I lie on my side as this seems to make the pain worse. I'm now wondering if maybe my pillow isn't high enough. I will try experimenting with ones a different height or maybe try your rolled up blanket idea to see if it helps. 

?Thanks for the tip!

• Posted

When sleeping, i have found it best to stretch out and keep my head back as if I were standing. When the head is down, like in texting or reading, the jaw pushes forward, off setting the jaw. A small pillow like i mentioned above is aligned for keeping the jaw in place. When it doesn't feel just right, I tilt my head back, (not forward because that hurts my face). In this way I support my jaw without undue pressure on the rest of my head or face.

I do have some twitching, mild jerking at times. When this happens, I go to my recliner and sleep on my back. I snore when sleeping on my back in bed and it wakes up my sweet wife. She gently says, "Honey, please roll over." Who can resits that? After rolling to my side, I go back to sleep, but occasionally, i have to go to the recliner. TMJ Disorder was once a miserable experience for me, but now I hardly know I have it.

• Posted

Thanks for giving me hope that it will improve. I know how miserable it makes you feel. I'm really glad that you've found some relief from it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.