TMJ treatment?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone had any luck with TMJ treatments?

This past Friday I saw a leading researcher on the eustachian tube balloon dialation procedure and he told me I was not a canditate for the treatment. I'm bummed. I do not have fluid in my ears. I have a type A tympanometry. He told me that my deviated septum should be fixed and that I still have my adenoids, which I should continue to shrink with steriod sprays. He said my case is very rare and there is nothing surgically that can be done. 

I had my physical therapist who has some experience in ear issues evaluate me and she found a lot wrong with my jaw joints and pressed certain areas and it was quite painful. I am now exploring TMJ as my culprit. I wanted to know if anyone has had any successes or warnings? 

I have severe sensitivity to pressure changes. I can't ascend buildings, take the subway, deal with weather changes without my ears acting up. I have crackiling noises in my ear as well, but only when they are clear. Am I really so rare? I know my pressure sensitivies are extreme in comparison to alot of what I've heard. 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you Google semi cirular canal dehiscence syndrome, do you have any of the symptoms? Also have a read of dizziness and balance .com  (I have spread the name of the website out because mediators have removed previous posts where I have sited websites.)
    • Posted

Thanks Olizzieo, 

It could be that, I would have to convince one of the ENTs to take an interest in exploring it further. I'll see what I can do. Maybe if I bribe them and bake them cookies they'll throw me a ct scan. 

Have you been evaluated in this arena? Thanks for the suggested reference. It's helpful. 

• Posted

No but I work with an ENT who diagnoses and treats this disorder. I am an audiologist and saw someone who complained of very specific symptoms that were obviously semi circular canal dehiscence (SCCD), and even his very qualified ENT did not pick it. Sometimes you have to keep researching yourself, to find answers. This poor client felt dizzy with pressure change. They could hear their steps loudly in their head. Some people hear their eyeballs move, knees creaking in their ears etc. They couldn't go up in lifts to attend University lectures. It can be so debilitating. Please let me know if you get a diagnosis!!! Thinking of you!!! x

• Posted

Moderators not mediators lol!!!
    • Posted

That's really interesting. I can't take elevators at all, I take the stairs and rarely venture above the 6th floor these days. I haven't found others with quite this severvity, for curious. I get dizzy sometimes and feelings of brain fog, especially trying to do elevations. I'll get examined for this. I think doctors just don't believe me that it's this severe or they'd rather not know because they can't do much. Thank you for your insight!

• Posted

You said it. It's a systemic psychological problem in the medical world, especially from surgeons.

• Posted

i have ear pressure for about two weeks now along with sinus infection. i was told by my ENT that the pressure is from the sinus infection. i need surgery and am on the waiting list. maybe you have a sinus infection that is causing the pressure
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that Jeff. What kind of surgery are they putting you on a waiting list for?

I've been in this state for 8 months and never had an infection, though this all did begin from a cold. My sinuses are very clear, though I've had throat phelm and ofcourse still wonder about something being up with my sinuses. I've also considered other sorts of issues like strep bacteria, but these are all things the numerous ents I've seen have been dismissive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.