TN

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, my beautiful daughter is just 20 years old and a student nurse and she has just been diagnosed with TN. We are feeling like our world is falling apart seeing her in so much pain and not being able to do anything to help her. My wife has been reading all your great help and advise and we are hoping that there is light at the end of the dark tunnel that is currently in front of us. We have purchased a TENS machine for her and she said that this does give some relief although only for a very short time. As we are only one week in with the diagnosis nothing seems to be controlling the pain apart from the morphine that she was given when we ended up at hospital one evening. This was a one off dose and they sent us home with a strong pain killers.

She has been put on carbamazepine and from initially starting her on one tablet a day we are now at one tablet twice a day which we understand that you have to build up gradually with this medication but the worry is all the other pain relief that she is having to take to get through the day.

We wondered if anyone has tried Reiki healing? Our daughter has a friend who is a Reiki healer and they have offered to try some healing on her so just wondered if anyone has been down that route and what we could expect. 

We had never heard of this condition but can't believe how many people are effected by this on a daily basis, they have now said that they will refer her to a Neurologist due to her age.

Thank you for your advise and any further help anyone can offer.

All the best Paul

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Paul, I've had TN for 10+ years now and have had a variety of medication combinations over the years and also MVD (which unfortunately didn't work for me).  You say you're in the Cambridge area - I'm in Suffolk and had my MVD surgery with Mr McFarlane at Addenbrookes.  He and his team are fantastic and I would recommend pushing for a referral to him if you can.  Although my op didn't work, I recoved very quickly and I was back at full time work as a PA within 8 weeks.  I'm currently on 2400mg of Gabapentin and 1200mg of Carbamazapene across the day, and this combination keeps the pain at a manageable enough level for me to work (just about!).  However, it does affect my vision (badly) and does impair me cognitively.  Hopefully at this early stage your daughter won't need such high dosages of medication to keep her pain at a manageable level, as it's a struggle to study when you're dosed up (I'm trying to do an OU degree and it's difficult to retain the information).  I wish you and your daughter all the best and will be sending positive thoughts across the ether.

• Posted

I am looking at the MVD surgery and I am wondering why yours did not work...what year did you have it done in?  Thanks 
    • Posted

Hello Anna

thank you for your kind words and sorry to hear that your surgery was not successful for you. We will definitely enquire about Mr McFarlane at Addenbrookes hospital and hopefully we will be able to also get to see him. It is such a worry as she is just about to start her final year at Universtity to be a Nurse, bless her she believes that she has this awful condition so when she asks a patient what their pain level is then she will be able to understand where they are at as she has hands on understanding of the different pain levels. All the very best to you Paul 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.