TN and Facial Pruritus (Itching) could they be linked?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello All,

I've had my TN return after a gap of some 10 years. Under reasonable control with 1200mg Oxcarbazepine (per day). But I've had some Pruritus for a number of years. No skin condition has been identified and it's been hinted that it's neurological in may in fact be linked to my long term TN. Is there any evidence to suppor this either by members or other sources. It's actually got worse for me than the TN in terms of it's discomfort and frustration. Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not had this problem, but there is a good aricle at the mayoclinic about  Pruritus .
  • Posted

Oh that's horrible.and yes, a quick search on "Oxcarbazepine and itching" gave many results stating that it can cause itching and to watch out if it starts itching or making a rash down your neck in particular. You really need to see a neurologist and ask for something else to try esp since it is now becoming painful/hard to tolerate. that sure sounds like lot of Oxcarbazinpine. Oh, just did a netsearch and its apparently the maximum dose but you really need a Neurologist opinion soon in case it gets worse or intolerable. Often they can drop the dose of what you are on and add something else to compensate. Good luck alan, and dont wait it may take weeks to get a Neuro appointment.
  • Posted

Hello Valkyrie,

I dindn't fully explain . I've had 10 years without any TN symptons. The itching started before I commenced on the Oxcarbezepine unfortunately. I'd had a reaction to some hypertension med' that I had since stopped and blamed my alternative med's. Unfortunately for me (having stopped them all temp') I've got a permanent/semi permanent itch now. So don't believe it's any of my current med's unfortunately. 

• Posted

sorry Alan,I got the wrong end of the stick there. I did find somethng called trigeminal trophic syndrome that talks about itching. Try googling that and see if it fits any of your symptoms. It must be awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.