TN and wisdom tooth removal

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia, I had severe pain in my right side of face pressured head, sore mouth and sore nose on and off for 4 months.

Originally was prescribed 2 doses of antibiotics for sinusites which didn't help at all.

I don't like dentists so was avoiding them until I got a lump in my neck which said could be tooth abscess. I went to the dentist for an x ray and he said he wanted to take my wisdom tooth out which could be the reason for all my pain. Also he said the lump was nothing to do with him and I need to see my doctor.

3 days later with my wisdom tooth out, I am still in pain from the injections, still have a headache.

I don't know whether I actually have TN or not. I don't want to keep pestering the doctors.

So has anybody else had problems like this? Can TN cause the lymph nodes to swell?

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Katrina, you don't pester doctors,you pay them for their services,,as members of the medical field/profession they are there to help you. Get your self in and get a professional medical opinion on that lump.True it could not be TN but somethin g else that needs attention.

dick

• Posted

thanks for the reply dick, if the lump hasnt gone by monday i will go to them.. love to just get a proper diagnosis, dont no why the doctor would diagnose without knowing for definite!
    • Posted

Can you see another doctor? Doesn't seem as if he was confident.If you have TN  you will know it. Touch your face and you bring on a series of short sharp pain like electricity. Of course any doc should be able to give 2 diagnoses..,Get him into gear!  Best wishes
    • Posted

I went again about the lumps but everything is normal, this new doc just said trigeminal neuralgia is the name of the nerves and made no big deal out of it.. When I was experiencing the pain it was an excruciating pain I was nearly phoning an ambulance. No tablets were working either but I don't remember having the sharp pain when it was touched. It was more a constant pain all over the right hand side. teeth, gums, head and nose throbbing. I just cried until it eased and it lasted for a week and then I was put on the TN tablets and haven't had pain like that since.
    • Posted

Hi Katrina.What tablets are you using? I have been on Lyrica for months till I heard it is hard to drop it. Too late,I am trying to use Tegretol(carbamazepine) for one of the doses but headaches and nausea are crippling.(Lyrica is pregabalin) This week had a rattling good time at an MRI.(lol) In 2 weeks will see a neurosurgeon and hope soon to see the back of Trigeminal Neuralgia.Let you all know how I go.best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie,

I was on tegretol, I've just finished weaning myself off them about a week ago and I haven't had any pain! Woo!! They were the only tablets I tried and I do think they helped.

Are you in constant pain or does yours go away for weeks or months? I'm still not 100% I have TN and I'm not sure if that's even the way it works.

Good luck at the neurosurgeon! Keep us posted smile

• Posted

Sounds like it's gone into remission let's hope it never comes back because when it does its twice as bad :-(
  • Posted

Cancer can be a lump in the neck which shows up as a primary cause elsewhere in the body but your MRI will confirm it may not be. Gladular fever can cause it or fat lump. Keep pestering your doctor that's why they are paid hundred grand a year for. Doesn't sound like TN to me.
  • Posted

Hi Katrina, Even My Father also faced same situation ,initially he also suffering from teeth pain where my local doctores thought that might be the pain caused by wisdom teeth so they removed my Dad's Wisdom teeth but the pain did not go away and increased more.so my Suggestion is  consult Neurologist and confirm it.  
    • Posted

Hi,

Did you father get sorted? How long ago did he get his tooth out?

• Posted

Hello Katrina

Can you help with a few more details please, so I can make some constructive comments?

Firstly, who diagnosed you with TN and why?

Secondly, what treatment/advice were you given about its management?

The lump in your neck will have nothing to do with TN but clearly needs attending too.

It could be a swollen lymph node, depending on its position, but it sounds a more of a permanent structure from the way you describe it.You also mention sinusitis and antibiotics - where does that fit into the scenario and has that cleared up?

Very few people like going to the dentist, me included, but they have a job to do and are well worth having on your side. See them as an ally - part of your team!

Others have commented about 'pestering' your GP. This is the wrong approach. If you're concerned about your health, that's what they're for - it's the job they are trained to do. Stay focussed on one aspect of your health, namely the lump. I can't imagine any GP being casual or disinterested in what might be a growth in your neck.

What diagnosis have you been given regarding this? By the way, your dentist is quite right to refer you to your GP. Use them both to your advantage and keep us posted.

Best wishes Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

From January I had only been dealing with doctors over the phone. (I suffer from anxiety) So they had been prescribing me for sinustitus thinking that's what it was. When I finally went to the doctor he checked me out and made this discovery of TN.

I am now on tablets sorry I'm not sure the name at the moment they are also used for epilepsy?

They seem to be keeping pain to a minimum.

So after about a week or 2 on these tablets I got a lump on my neck.

Online I read that swollen lymph nodes could be caused by a tooth abscess. So because I am not sure for definite if I have TN I thought I would phone the dentist.

Anyway got my wisdom tooth out on Monday and still in pain from the injections and having bad headaches.

Just feel like a total wreck! Have had the lump from Sunday so 5 days. Waiting until Monday if it has not gone by then I will phone the doctor.

Sorry for my rambling on! Maybe someone else has had the same issues.

• Posted

Hello Katrina

Thank you, that all makes sense.

Clearly you will have to see your GP soon, unless the lump subsides over the weekend.

I haven't any experience of such a set of circumstances but when you see the GP, stay focussed on that one issue and go with a positive attitude. - this person is here to help me and I need to help them make the correct diagnosis or refer me to someone who can.

Too often people rubbish their GP and only complain about how much money they're earning etc. There are many individuals in our society who contribute nothing but earn much more than GPs.

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer and the best advice I was given was to see all the people who were involved with my case, as part of my team with me in the centre, in control. 

Sorry, gone on a bit, haven't I.

Good luck with the lump and your GP.

Colin

PS The drug you mentioned is almost certainly Tegretol - it's a good drug.

• Posted

Hi, I've been suffering with a constant headache now for nearly 10 month, dental hospital suspect TN2 but amitriptyline and tegretol made pain worse. I have just had a root canal on a suspected tooth which has to be finished this Friday and the pain is still here. I have a swollen gland in rhs of neck and I'm on Naproxen which seems to be helping a little with the pain. It suggests it is my teeth as naproxen fights inflammation but, I have suffered also with electric shocks. I don't get worried about doctor, if I'm not there I'm at the dentist. They're both blaming each other. Keep hassling, that's what I say. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your pain, it really does bring you down especially not actually knowing what it is!

Im on tegretol but weaning myself off it now and hopefully the pain will stay away.

I am still getting headaches every day which is annoying, I went to the doc about my lump and she just said its a few swollen lymph nodes which is all normal.

My dentist thought getting my tooth out could be the whole issue of my pain but Im not sure, good luck for Friday at the dentist!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.